Agnostic.com

5 0

Parent Problem!

Anybody figure out an effective but somewhat gentle way to tell your religious mama that Jesus ain't gonna save you?

dawilderone 3 Nov 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just leave her be. Don't ask, don't tell.

Orbit Level 7 Nov 6, 2018

Save her? Don't bother.

Save you? Tell her you don't need saving.

Matt Dillahunty covers this in great detail on the Atheist Experience show.

if she isn't pestering you about religion there is no need to bring it up. if she is, then you may want to let her know. how depends on her methodology and her personality, as well as your relationship. all else being equal, i'd be as direct as possible and try to choose a time when you're not arguing about religion (or anything else). choose a calm time and say (in your own words) "mom, i have something to tell you and you might not like it, but i assure you that even if it seems bad now, it's really okay. i just wanted to tell you because i love you and i think we should be honest with each other. mom, i don't believe in god." then pick her up off the floor.

g

I've never considered this because I never felt the need to separate someone from their faith. My grandmother was a person of faith and it brought her a great deal of comfort in her final years - it never occurred to me to find a gentle way to tell her that her Jesus wasn't going to save her. Why would anyone do that? She knew that I was a non-theist and from time to time she let me know how she felt about it. I would listen - she deserved that respect and then I went about living my life on my own terms. My father died in 2016 - my brother 6-months later in 2017 - both were people of faith - it had nothing to do with me and so I never thought for a moment to "correct" them. Your mom's faith doesn't impact your life so leave it alone - let her believe what she wants.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:213798
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.