Agnostic.com

10 2

Any classical music lovers here?

I see a lot of music posts of popular songs, but that's not my favorite thing. Anybody like classical? Attend symphony concerts or the opera? Who is your favorite composer? What is your favorite piece?

chicagojcb 7 Feb 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mozart's Violin Concerto No.3

Hand up. Orchestral concerts I have not been to for years! Too far too expensive. I prefer instead recordings which I can then repeatedly listen to. Opera I am only just starting to appreciate. Favourites - pass any A-Z of classical music and perhaps chop out 10- 20% particularly Shoenberg but that is probably unfair as I simply did not explore further than the first piece listened to.
May I suggest that you join "Passions" create hashtags for your favourite clasical composers and invite others to join you in sharing the classical music passion?

done. At least the join part. I'll have to give the details some thought.

@chicagojcb thanks, welcomed 8)

Love opera ? My favorite so far is the Magic Flute. The Queen of the Night's aria is painfully beautiful. Die Fledermaus was funny though lol.

I can watch and listen to "Carmen" on all shape and form.

Yessirree Bob..I even have my own Chopin channel on accuradio.com streaming radio.
And I love opera, and used to attend performances at Morehead State University and the Lexington Opera House, KY.

But I love many music genres, and cycle through them on accuradio.com. - I enjoy pop, rock , K-pop, Thai pop, Japanese pop, Latin music, bluegrass, jazz, classical, African, rap, West Indies music, Cuban music, and so on.

I like other kinds of music, too. It's just that I hadn't seen anything posted on classical, so I did. 🙂

I like symphonic music, I just don’t like a lot of the composition. Not saying talent is not there, but I like darker music. Some classical composer wrote great music, powerful and ominous, but I’ve not heard enough to be able to discuss. Now, while the writing may or may not be good by others’ standards, I dig Black Aria by Glenn Danzig. It just fits my style. Y’all should turn me on to some dark classical music!

@NothinXpreVails have you explored Sibelius's Kullervo "Symphony"? The lyrics are both light and extremely dark - murder, incest, slavery, big bang theory Finnish style...

Kalevala - Wikipedia [en.m.wikipedia.org]

And this was my introduction to the work back in '71 or '72 - Paavo Bergland conducting the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra. The accompanying video IMO is spectacular. I may feature it for the travellers in "Passions".

I don’t need have time for the whole hour at the moment but I’ll definitely check it out @FrayedBear
In the meantime, this is a link to Danzig’s first symphonic albulm. Pretty good for a punk/metal musician🙂

@NothinnXpreVails loaded it for watching via wifi. Thanks for the heads up the intro sounds promising.

I quite enjoy classical. There was a symphony orchestra late last year I attended; they played pieces from Beethoven, Bach, and Brahms (I think). I don't know much about the music, but I appreciate it greatly.

One of my favorites:

And I LOVE choral music. This is one of my favorite pieces ever. I had the pleasure of singing it in high school.

Whitacre has written some great music for choirs.

And take a look above where I posted a link to my own favorite choral piece of all time.

I don't listen to nearly as much classical as I used, but I still love to play it. I've been playing Bass in Orchestras on and off for most of my life (about 20 years). I can't pick a favorite, and my list is long. Here are a few.

Anything by Rossini. Beethoven is fun. Dance Macabre by Camille Saint-Saëns. Stravinsky's Firebird Symphony. The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky. Bach. The Eccles Sonata in G minor. Gustav Mahler. Johannes Brahms. Antonín Dvorák. Franz Schubert.

Bach, Goldberg Variations, Glenn Gould

Strauss, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Hildegard von Bingen, anything

Thus Spake Zarathustra... I liked the Eumir Deodato 70's Jazzed up better.

@GipsyOfNewSpain got an url?

@FrayedBear it was an allstar cast of what modern jazz has to offer... including puertorican conga player Ray Barreto...

@GipsyOfNewSpain A fascinating arrangement - perhaps I need to listen to it a few times but I think the classics full orchestra version comes in by a head and neck. Thank you for the share you are introducing me to lots of good stuff I probably would not encounter other than from your prompting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.