Agnostic.com

8 3

"When absolute God-given righteousness beckons, blood flows and women are in chains.

"Islam, Christianity, and Judaism all define themselves through disgust for women’s bodies…

-Polly Toynbee

Although I am an atheist for many reasons, these Toynbee quotes sum up my overall disgust for religion quite well. I remember being dragged to church as a child and breaking open that sadistic book, the bible, to find a passage about a woman being gang-raped. I mean, damn, that shit is dark. But it wasn't just that one passage, that book is filled with the condoning of rape and violence against women. (Not to mention the slavery, it's big on slavery.)
I find that modern Minoan religion or the worship of female divinities like Hekate better reflect my values, although not my beliefs.

VanthEreshkigal 4 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Society has a disgust for womens bodies. Women wear perfume and make up so obviously you are ugly and smell bad 😉 More seriously I suggest you take a look at " song of songs " and then tell me if there is any " disgust " there?

One of the reasons I left the Catholic religion was misogyny. Following that, and a lot of study about how that church was started, and seven centuries of the Holy Inquisition (murder of the Jews because they were heretics)....the destruction of the library at Alexandria, where works by Plato and Aristotle were burned (because they were heretical), and so many other things, I left. Religion is hypocracy. And then there is the horrific child abuse and the fact that the pope helped so many Nazis escape Europe after WW 2. They actually baptized Himmler, and many more of his ilk and got them papers so they could be cleansed and start new lives in Argentina where they were planning the rise of the Fourth Reich. This particular religion demands respect! WTH?

Even after Alexandria it continued. Apparently Jesus`s brother James made his way to India and there were gospels written by him which were destroyed by the Portuguese.

@273kelvin Ugh. The Evil Empire

I'm pretty sure that disgust mostly stems from fear.

I think you are right. Only a real wimp would be afraid of women in my opinion. Women and men should be able to accept each other for who they are...in all their imperfection and glory. Men who put woman down are not worthy....and vice versa.

And a bit of the jeally. Men can never give birth, and they are insecure about that.

As a Jew, we had to attend the mikvah. A cleansing ceremony after menstruation or child birth. Like we were unclean for how the fake god made us. I totally agree with you. Religions belittle women.

The whole thing about birth control belittles women and is only in the minds of the religious because it forces women to keep popping out little Christian soldiers. If you are busy changing diapers you don't have time to read a book or ask a question. You are not in control of your life. You have a specific role in life and you are not allowed to question it. Talk about control. I would not even say out loud the words I would have for a person who dared tell me what my role in life would be. Since I was raised Catholic I did not question them when I was young. When I got smart I left.

They're all disgusting books full of degenerate behavior in the name of their religion and supposedly condoned by their god.

I know you are right about this....the disgust for a woman's body....but why? I was raised Catholic and I remember a ceremony following the birth of a child called candlin

Between then and now, a lot of philosophical and ethical ground has been crossed. It is a long road from brutality to rationality. We are, have been and always be a species in transition.

Yet, women seem to be the biggest supporters of religion and it's misogyny.

How?

@JimmyM ?????

You said women seem to be the biggest supporters of religion and its misogyny. I was wondering how you arrived at that statement.

@JimmyM I'll rephrase the statement. A great many women seem to be the biggest supporters of religion and it's misogyny.

Ah. Fair enough. So that's just your opinion. It's not based on any evidence or anything?

They are. It's the women who get men to go to church. At least it was that way in my family.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.