Agnostic.com

14 9

QUESTION People who think about leaving religion but don't are more likely to feel depressed and hopeless

"Social scientists give a lot of attention to the nonreligious because of this group’s recent and rapid growth, but even more people consider dropping out of religion and do not actually leave,”

This is why secular support groups (communities) for people who want to leave their religion are important. I've met many people online, during discourse who expressed their fear of going hell, not to mention the concern of possibly losing their social network and family if they fully deconverted.

VictoriaNotes 9 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That quote by Christopher Hitchens makes a ton of sense. But, then again, he usually does..

Relocating to another part of the country played a big part in giving me the freedom to do a life re-set. I no longer had the constraints of church life that kept me from exploring other avenues of thought. It's not that I was looking to change my belief system; it just happened naturally. That may not have happened without the move to another province.

I still had some church ties in the new location, but a really bad experience with a totally hypocritical music director was the straw that broke the camel's back. I waved "sianara" and never looked back. Then I de-constructed my faith and realized how restrictive and silly monotheism was. The rest is history.

Sounds like my story Hominid, coming from Europe to the US. First I tried to rebuild some connection within a Christian community, also because of our Christian friends that has supported us so well and in such an unselfish way. That was fine for the first year, but it was very different from the situation in the NL. After a few bad experiences everything fell slowly in its right place. Even if I would ever go back (although I don't expect that, even not if a dangerous person like Mr.T45 in charge), I will never change back.

For the first two weeks after I decided it was time for me to leave the Roman Catholic Church, I thought I might be the most corrupt, evil person on the face of the earth. I realized that I had made this decision after YEARS of thought. I had the experience many years before while still in the church on two separate occasions, a nun and a brother spoke to a group of students and said it was acceptable to leave if you truly believed that you no longer had faith. I was fortunate to have the compassionate words of that brother and that nun to help me leave.

I used to go to a couple of conservative churches and they were disillusioning-let alone disappointing; however, on Tuesdays and Thursdays there is a medical/senior day center run by a conservative religion but I only go there for medical services and meals!

No reason to not use them for your benefit. They have used you to theirs such a long time. I would too. I would even play make-believe, as they do too.

I've chatted with several people online who didn't believe anymore and wanted to leave the church, most weren't as worried about hell as they were about being ostracized.

There is no shortage of horror stories about people who have come out with their non-belief only to lose all of their friends, families, and sometimes their homes. Some who are kicked out of their homes are young, still in school, and have no means or skills to support themselves.

Then there are church leaders who have lost their faith but feel they cannot leave the church for fear of the backlash.
If they do, they will immediately lose what source of income the church provided, and possibly their living quarters if they live on a church property.
There is some help at The Clergy Project.
"The Clergy Project provides support, community, and hope for deconverted religious professionals with its Online Community of Forums."
Here is a link if anyone needs it. [clergyproject.org]

@VictoriaNotes Thanks, Victoria. 🙂

You are so right Paul. Essential relations with a church determines very much what decisions you make about your freedom. You try to protect your life and that of your children, if you have them. Not everybody has the luxury of leaving even if they don't believe anymore. Luckily nobody can invade the freedom of thought (yet).
I had a brother that emigrated to the that Abel Tasman discovered. He was from Christian background and probably found that becoming a pastor was an easy way of living. I'm not sure how strong his faith was, I don't think that much, but he still helped indoctrinate his children, a son and a daughter. Just as he had finished his education having a flock to lead, he died. My sister-in-law, receives a pension from the church and she will never even consider leaving her faith. I guess she will have no spare room in her mind for doubt.

ps - thanks for the Hitchens quote! I was just missing him this week and listened to videos while I was working. This was always one of my favorite eulogies for him,

Oh, yeah, @VictoriaNotes, this is understandable. I think it would be similar to other life situations which are suppressed to “pass” in society such as being gay, or passing for another race.

I think I had a different transition because I was already outside of “normal” society in so many ways that I never felt the complete embrace of religious community. I’d stopped attending church in high school and gradually became a holiday Christian, mostly to satisfy family. It took having my daughter – and the church’s horrible treatment of women - to actively stop believing. Mostly because of that “eternity” thing which is a big one to get over for me. By that time, my circle of religious friends was rather small.

It’s only the past couple of years that I’ve become overtly angry at religion, so much so that I refused to attend church this past Christmas Eve with my [recently widowed, “I just don’t want to go alone”] mother. So apparently that religious guilt thing is diminishing as well. 😉

They literally mourn the fact that they did not have the courage to break away.

I feel I am back in school and you’re are the teacher who assigns homework.

I think we all have our own, individual experiences with this and some are more affected than most. Parvin never had religion so she didn’t understand but that lack of understanding helped us both in the end.

“…people who stay report more depressive symptoms than people who leave.” That seems evident as these people may feel they are living a lie and constantly need to justify their choice. Again FFRF probably has a library on such cases. I wonder if this study used any data from their “clergy Project”.

A recent article about the My Lai massacre, Lt. Calley and some of the other soldiers (one who committed suicide) highlights the need to justify one’s actions that are too hard to live with.
For me it was a long trail. Learning and seeing discrepancies in what I had been taught (I don’t think my belief was that strong but had nothing to counter it. I remember once telling someone my life was like a jigsaw puzzle. Pieces coming together and creating a picture. I don’t think I mentioned what was the final piece that drove me away. It was difficult insofar as it meant dropping aid to a Philippino child/family and a program that I had been in for 12 years.

I am curious about one of the other studies: “Men’s moral choices”. OMG(osh) Trolley Problem: I am well aware of that. I am in trouble.

@VictoriaNotes I hear you and others loud and clear. I wish I could commiserate (haven't used that word in a long time) but, as I said, mine was totally different. The one painful thing about my de-conversion was that a young child and his family might have been impacted. However, there are also others who were never in our shoes. I think we can learn from them as well. I did.

@VictoriaNotes Sorry, this is a sideline. I saw a side link to the one you provided. The study is in your neck of the woods. Do you have any feelings about this study?

*"The contrast between the two approaches is often examined with the so-called Trolley Problem: If there’s an out of control trolley speeding towards a group of five people, is it ethical to throw a single bystander on the tracks to stop the train? Should you kill one person to save five? A deontologist would say no. A utilitarian would say yes.

“Contrary to popular belief in my department, this has nothing to do with trolley problem memes! I became interested in morality after reading about the signaling function of moral decision-making, or how deontology communicates prosociality, whereas utilitarianism communicates competence,” said study author Mitchell Brown, a graduate student at the University of Southern Mississippi."*

I read a book about this and it spoke to me. One thing that was different, though, instead of actually throwing a person off a bridge one pulled a switch which directed the train from a couple of workers to a busload of kids. Big difference.

This is quite a problem, because it is entwined with social relations. I met agnostic people that had to start all over again. Not having family anymore, their children not having grandparents anymore either. But it seems to be worth it. Better a rough break than an elastic band that tries to pull them back all the time. Support online and in physical groups is helping them a lot. Especially when they find people that are like minded on other issues also so that they might build new friendships again.

Gert Level 7 Feb 6, 2018

I recall a friend of mine, who was brought up with fundamentalist Christianity, and I were discussing religion many years ago, and he was questioning but still beholden to his upbringing. He said to me that he envied me because I seemed much more at peace than he felt. And I understood what he meant, because I went through a tumultuous time when I was holding onto my past beliefs, because they made up such a big part of my life for so long, it was like part of me dying. But, when I took a more reasoned approach, no longer trying to square the circle of the empirical world and a metaphysical construct for which there's no evidence, I found that I was indeed more at ease. It's like there's an underlying struggle all the while, and when I let go of religion I let go of that struggle.

There many varied reason people think about leaving religion and many varied reasons why people stay. Probably the most common reasons for staying is just for the social aspects of it (after all it is a social club), for fear of rejection by family and/or society, loss of social advantages associated with being part of it, etc. (IMHO)

Depression abates with physical exercise greater than kneeling prEyer. ....Atheism begins with the first step escaping out from cult torture psychologically inflicted

@VictoriaNotes there are Albert Ellis R.E.T. clinicians likely nearing retirement who will counsel their patients with Rational Emotive Therapies. ...sadly young Atheist professionals are forced to cowtow to religious incompetent colleagues thereby enabling magical thinking by both LUTHERAN DIPLOMATES and Lutheran patents. ....regardless of religions a healthy patient model must be denuded of faiths

I've often wondered why he would do such a thing. Man made hell sound so terrifying and I know the preachers screaming that crap at us had no fear of it as they slapped you across the head and tell you that your healed. That asshole oral Roberts need to be thrown in prison and somehow kept alive forever. Yes I have an attitude... I think we all have one that escaped the religious persecution.

@VictoriaNotes. You know that commercial that says they have 20 billion dollars set aside for asbestos sufferers. They should have the same thing for us... people that were traumatised from religion. That would change some altitudes.

@VictoriaNotes For some it is a nurture issue. I didn't experience that which made it difficult to see the need to leave.

@VictoriaNotes. I slowly got away from it and I eventually made my way here... I'm so lucky..

@BucketlistBob Luck and taking advantage of it are very critical things toward freedom.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.