Agnostic.com

4 2

Blaming God.

The last person to publicly blame God for his fate was Job; IIRC although he lost all of his family members, he wound up with twice as many new ones as well as twice as much livestock.

O'Reilly, of "shower with a falafel" fame, yesterday blamed God for his fate. But he had already gotten $100,000,000 (which presumably included the $32 Mil he paid out in a sex abuse case) from Fox before they finally gave him the boot. I'm counting it as a positive that a non-theist can only blame his or her self.

andygee 7 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

To be fair, in the story if Job, it WAS God's fault. He made a wager with Satan, and Job was the anti. In fact, it was GOD who pointed out Job to Satan, as if he wanted to start something in the first place.

When it comes to the Bible, it really is all God. God is responsible for killing: 2,821,364 Based on actual numbers, but when you look at estimations, like when God said, "Go in and kill man, woman and child..." then the numbers go up based on estimation. Bottom line, Satan is hardly worth our focus. It is, and always has been, God that has been our trouble. Why do you think Christians are so terrified of God. They're traumatized, though they don't want to admit that. Which is typical of abused children.

I have always said, "Satan is the mask God wears when he misbehaves."

We have to take responsibility for our actions and make things right when we wrong someone. The devil didn't make me do it, god didn't make me do it, and no one can become a sacrifice for the things I may have done. It is my responsibility. Religion is a scapegoat mentality.

Blaming god for things is not unusual. I’ve known a whole bunch of people that do it. I worked with a couple that lost their son and who lost their faith at the same time because of it. They vocally blamed god but didn’t stop believing in him. I know a lady who lost her hearing in one ear because some guy shot a 357 right beside her ear blowing out her eardrum and who does she blame? Not the guy but god; she’s still a true believer. “It’s so wonderful that god caused me to lose hearing because of some idiot.” Another friend who had a blow out on the highway was helped because a good Samaritan stopped to help her and proceeded to thank god and the guy said: “My name’s Jose.” It happens continually. A lot of folks attribute every last thing that happens to them as an act of god. I didn’t hear the O’Reilly thing but he is a true believer which means that things don’t have to make sense but that just making things sound Jesusey, godly makes everything peachy, dory. They’re verifying their flight to heaven.

gearl Level 8 Oct 24, 2017

I'm not really clear on the Christian expiation model. True believers can go around boffing and then they're forgiven? Or do you have to stop boffing people you aren't married to when you become a true believer?

I have discussed this concept with other theists who claim I really do believe but accused me of being mad at God and blaming God for not giving me a better life. I reply in patient responses. My life isn't without regret but of those things I regret in life all are my doing. God doesn't exist for me to blame nor would I if he did. When I have wronged someone, it's my job to atone for that not through a God but through actions like an apology to that individual that I have hurt. These are things secular people do, and Christians sometimes fail to understand.

You and Daddy4Pugs have both more or less described the Jewish expiation model, which is basically apologize, make it right, don't do it again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2153
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.