Agnostic.com

19 2

Graves and burial plots?

What are your thoughts on land being used for grave yards? I feel like it is a waste of land that could be used for something better.

JoeMastle 7 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Spending eternity on a golf course sounds okay. Just put my ashes in the widmill.

JimG Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

Well, how about golf courses? If that is not a waste of land...
I have donated my body to the nearest university medical center, so surgeons can learn to practice their skills. My body leftovers will eventually be cremated and returned to my family. I have made a pact with my grandson. He will build a little wooden boat, place my ashes in it and set the whole thing on fire to float on Lake Ontario.
I agree with you, we need to do away with burial grounds. Besides using land , it also contaminates the ground water. And please, stop using lead lined coffins. Unless you are zombie, you won't need you dead body anytime after death.

I love graveyards, especially in cities - they're usually quiet and provide an oasis for wild animals and plants, as well as a beautiful place for locals and people working in the area to get away from it all during their lunchbreak, making them especially valuable in built-up areas where there are no parks. That sounds like a pretty good use of the land to me!

Jnei Level 8 Feb 7, 2018

Incidentally, I want to be buried - because I'd like to have a ridiculously spooky mausoleum in black marble, with a scary epitaph (something along the lines of one I saw in a graveyard in Hertfordshire saying "SHE DESERVES ETERNAL DEATH FOR HER SINS" ) and a colony of bats living in it. I might have some sort of mechanical device rigged up inside that mimics the sound of claws scraping at the door whenever anyone walks near it at night, too. As some of you may have guessed, I was a goth in my teenage years.

I had my husband cremated and his urn placed at his mother's burial site, with a small memorial stone. This to make his first generation children happy, and to signify he belongs to his family now. When my intentions were made known, his sister's husband brought her ashes up and we had a small family memorial service. Rural country cemetery, no muss, no fuss. No extra land use. There can always be an alternative.

Recycle anything useful... or feed the fish.

Tomas Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

Cremation for me no use to take up space someone could use.

Dont care what happens to my body I won't be there to care. I would prefer mt body not go to waste iand im put under a tree or something.

Cremation or the 'forest' cemetery for myself.
My ashes shot into space would be nice.
I think it's wasted but it won't stop any time soon.
The concept of memorial needs to change.

Emile Level 5 Feb 6, 2018

My one remaining superstition, if you want to call it that, is that even though it won't matter because I will no longer exist, I am really creeped out by the idea of being embalmed. WON'T let it happen. Cremation is a fallback if I don't get my act together in time. Cremation contributes to air pollution and I don't really want to do that either. I also don't want to be sealed away from the earth of which I am a part. I want to go back to it. I want to make Green Burial arrangements. Unfortunately there's nothing available near where I live, yet.

There's a beautiful movie on Vimeo called A Will for the Woods. Check it out.

A small boat... mile or three off shore... BAM... fish food.

I agree.
Here in Thailand, all Buddhist temples have crematoriums, and even the Thai king was cremated.

Kentucky old money relatives on my mom's side of the family are all cremated and ashes stored in an urn, but I think scattering ashes or making someone's ashes into jewelry is a good choice also.

What a waste of money and resources, at present I am organised to be collected and burnt, so fuss, minimal paperwork, if it becomes possible, a vertical burial, no lot just a hole bored into the ground body dropped in a along with many others, a forest planted above.

I personally do not want to be buried (cremation or other alternative - a tree? for me), however, as a genealogist, this decision creates discord. Cemeteries and headstones are valuable genealogical records. I assuage myself by thinking that record-keeping is more complex and encompassing than it used to be and cemeteries won't be needed to remember people of this day. I hope. But I do love a good cemetery.

Golf courses - now THERE'S a huge waste.

That’s just mean spirited... jajaja

I think humans should be recycled into fertiliser

I agree with you. I would rather be cremated than put in the ground and take up space.

I agree. When I die, here will be no grave or burial plot. To have my body buried in a cemetery plot would cost my family close to $10,000. Cremation costs less then $800.

Or free if donated to science.

@kiramea Not here in Florida. I contacted all agencies in the area which handle donations of bodies. They all wanted me to pay for embalming of my body. In other words, they wanted me to pay for the donation. No thanks

Damn, that sucks.

I agree! Spread my ashes in nature and call it a day!

I agree. I want to be cremated.

To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield (in Caddyshack), cemeteries and golf courses are the two biggest wastes of real estate on the planet.

@SweetHarp In most cases, if you've donated your body to a teaching hospital or university, they use the cadaver for approximately one year (usually less), then they cremated whatever is left and send the cremains to whomever you've designated. I find that the most acceptable option.

Every time I pass by a golf course I think the same way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21630
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.