Agnostic.com

13 29

“Do not pray for an easy life, acquire the strength to endure a difficult one”- Bruce Lee

I really like Bruce Lee. He is obviously a legend in terms of martial arts, but he was also very wise.

According to Wiki, when asked in 1972 what his religious affiliation was, he replied "none whatsoever." Also in 1972, when asked if he believed in God, he responded, "To be perfectly frank, I really do not."

And yet, another awesome non-believer in the history books : )

silvereyes 8 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Always admired his resolve to be original and true to himself. Wish he and his son were alive today.

You got that just right kido, life is to at least the most pain full situation, it can be also rewardable, but that only comes after the pain! Unfortunately its like a trading post that trades buckets full of pain for Trimble's full of gain!

I always enjoyed the (somewhat tongeue-in-cheek) curse "May you live in interesting times."

Cursing does nothing, of course, but I realize that we do now live in quite interesting times and the decision to take it as a "curse" or a "blessing" is entirely the prerogative of the experiencer.

This quote struck me because of a conversation had while on the job at a nearby Indian Hralth center. Someone commented that they used to pray to the creator for strength and patience. But then another Native told him that you should never pray to the creator for patience and strength because he will give you more experiences to develop strength and patience. Apparently this is a common belief in Native cultures.

he sounds like a reasonable human to me.

apart from the fact that i never used to bray, i learned to appreciate challenges in my life; it's a certain way to keep going & growing & have these gorgeous brain waves; easy equals boring amongst other things.

Bruce should had paid more attention to that pill he took and took him down hard. With all due respect. No pill had ever took me down that hard. Not that wise or stronger than a mere pill by the way... with all due respect to his skill. I think the score went... Pill 1, Lee 0. I know the bruce lee fans will hate me. This life is for the living. Great skill and persona while it lasted but... very short last.

@silvereyes swelling of the brain was a condition he had, he collapsed a few times during filming movies but it was during recording-sinking audio when he collapsed and was given a painkiller for his migraine that caused the fatal swelling as an allergic reaction. I have respect for his craft but he died 1973 and many close to him... said he was like many other of us an asshole too. The rumors that Chinese mafia got rid of him were there too. To me is just... so he didn't believed in god? so what? neither Fidel Castro and he accomplished more. That he was atheist or not in 1973... Is not important to me on 2018. Is not as if he was a revolutionary, a war hero, a peace hero, a worker activist, an oscar winning actor or an Olympian Champion. What he did on film was great, awesome even groundbreaking but so was Jimi Hendrix and his believe in god didn't make a different. I just don't keep altars for fallen generals. And I leave legends lay down to rest. So we can examine those alive and well. Can not say if in competition he would have ended up the champion. I only saw him acting. So to me he is like James Dean. Died young.

yes, indirectly he did, @silvereyes; he took a common painkiller for a recurrence of the symptoms he had suffered 2 months before & subsequently died of an allergic reaction to a component in the medication. very unfortunate, nothing venturesome about it.

@silvereyes Okay. Reckon my definition of hero is different from yours. 'Never seen anyone as a hero for being a non believer of a god... Exception maybe during the Spanish Inquisition. Okay.

@silvereyes you are a 100% correct he is the god of the martial arts world. But that makes him... another god... in my eyes... he was a serious talent... just remember... people don't care that much of what a hollywood actor thinks. Granted with some exceptions and if you are oriental... nobody expect you to be a christian... they expect you to have some alien philosophy that americans will know little about. There is something about those who die young... We never saw them down spiral. Just to bring an example that is said by those in the know that were there the worst thing ever to happen to Marlon Brando was for James Dean to die... because he no longer had anyone to compete against and we did saw Marlon Brando, get fat and get old. And being in bad movies. We never saw James Dean... we never saw Bruce Lee at 50 doing c and d movies just to pay the bills or acting crazy in the streets. What he did with his talent can't be denied. Is on film and he died on 1973... and we talking about it in 2018. My college GF cried when he died so I got that beef against him too he, he, he.

I did not follow Bruce Lee but my late partner's son did. When he came to Seattle he wanted to visit his grave which was in our part of the city.

"Those who are unaware they are walking in darkness will never see the light" - Bruce Lee. Perhaps a perfect atheistic awakening allegory?

jeffy Level 7 Feb 7, 2018

I agree! Love Bruce Lee. I don't like the mysticism implied in his life and death. Even in biographical films about him. I think he was a remarkable person.

yes, i agree, even though i'm not into martial arts at all. he was wise & very unfortunate in the end.

I have read a lot of Bruce Lee. His words have always resonated with me. It helped me detach from everything while connecting to anything

No. Is it available online?

Cool... I never knew that..

Life is not easy with varying degrees wether you pray or don't pray. Who doesn't like Bruce Lee? We all have to live with the the cards that we get.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21689
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.