Agnostic.com

9 5

One of my coworkers told me I'm a "better person than [he] is", because I opted not to accept the 'president's club' merit-trip I won (since it would either require me to leave my special needs child behind or drag him to a foreign country where there is high risk if he ended up needing medical care) ... This coworker is profoundly religious. I can't help but wonder what he'd say/think if he found out that I was this "better person" withOUT fear of a deity nor expectation of its rewards. ( I'm VERY in the closet at work & will stay that way, but I'll splash in the irony of it all)

Kirahere 6 Feb 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Congratulations on winning presidents club. That's quite an award and at most companies quite hard to win.

Love the idiom "splashing in the irony of it all"....yes....indeed! One must stay "in the closet" about our reflections on the #Religulous....but it sure seems like an enlightening is spreading....

On the other hand, you are here. So good for you

So you are a closet atheist and for the very same reason that there still are closet homosexuals( I am not at all PC and call a spade a spade, but that does not mean that I harbor any hard feelings against that spade).

The problem with being a closet anything is that one is not acting as one's true self. This dichotomy wreaks havoc on ones self esteem and sense of integrity.

You gave special circumstances. You care for another. Still the price is very high. This is a form of altruistic suicide.

Yes many people giving me kudos get angry when they later find out from other sources I have always been an Atheist. ....Workplace religiosity is a hostile working environment. ...posting bible verses is no different from posting Playboy centerfolds at work

I think I need to understand the countries you live in because growing up in England, very few people are aware .,or care about of neighbours religious or non religious traditions - I cannot begin to imagine being frightened or closeting myself because of a belief - And yes I can see there is a nice compliment that came your way- Fear is, I was told, the worst emotion because it renders you helpless - Anger is the only emotion that is a force for change. Fear, sadness or happiness won't get someone off your foot who is standing on it but anger will.

even pre-trump, there was real risk in coming out, especially when you live in a "right to work" state ("right to work" is a misnomer; it really means your boss can fire you for ANY reason, they don't need "cause" - so if they find out something they don't like about you, regardless of how well you perform your job, you can be instantly let go), unfortunately Florida (where I live) is one of those states.

Yes @DeeTee, it is a legal construct/designation. States which are "right to work" have the ability to fire without cause; it's not about the right to work, it's about the right to fire - but the politicians who put the bill in place were smart enough to realize that if it sounded like it was for workers' rights it would pass without the same kinds/amounts of objection. Sadly, they were correct.

whatever works for you. we all have to be chameleons in a society of peoples with such different views.

That's cool, and I don't blame you for staying in the closet so to speak.

I think the person is admitting that they themselves would have taken the trip regardless of the impact on their child, so they were truthful, you are a better person.

yup, they DID take the trip, when they won it, leaving their (chronically ill) child behind... I don't see it as being a "better person", I see it as "this is the only way I'll maintain my sanity & not be so worried, the entire time, that i won't be able to relax" - so technically it is a selfish act on my part.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.