Agnostic.com

15 2

Being a freethinker...

How do you respond when confronted with information that goes against things that you believe are true?

gregoryL 5 Nov 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The only appropriate response is that we integrate the new knowledge, and make changes to our working theory as appropriate. This is assuming it's irrefutable info. However... the level of proof which nears on irrefutable sets a mighty high bar. One could call that high bar a "bias"...or one could call it scientific. You can't prove or disprove something that is actually mumbo-jumbo. Unless it shows up and allows multiple sources to do some solid experimental work. I don't expect that to happen...But if the opportunity did present itself, and the experiments were all done, we'd have to change our outlook.

There’s a possibility that everything I think is true is actually false. Being confronted with information is different than being confronted with solid evidence, if they have solid evidence, then consider the possibility you are in the wrong. Look for information on the subject from different sources.

ce54r Level 3 Nov 9, 2018

Research is definitely key. There's nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong, nor do we discontinue to keep learning.Too many people behave poorly and continue to live in ignorance

First I cuss to the tune of, "Well, fuck." Next I begrudgingly accept the new information because it didn't confirm my confirmation bias. Then I spend an indeterminate amount of time fighting my confirmation bias until the acceptance phase is complete. After that, I just complain about how much it sucks that it isn't the way I thought it was. 😛

Right on!

Lol I like this especially the part "well, fuck"?

First I get angry. I have either been lied to in the past or I am being lied to in regards to the new information.
I ask for sources, check the sources, ask people I trust on the subject until I am reasonably certain I have gotten as close to the truth as I can with the available information; because the truth is the only thing that matters.

I verify the info and make sure that it's coming from credible sources, has been peer reviewed, etc.

I'm unfortunately finding lately many people want to be considered a "freethinker" , but really they're just trying to legitimize truly untenable beliefs.

Research

I examine my belief further in a effort to find out how I reached what appears to be a faulty conclusion...and then I research some more...and then I bring my thinking in alignment with the facts.

Beliefs are just that, beliefs. Without evidence they remain so until evidence is shown to either prove or refute them. If your beliefs are proved to be false, then you should accept that gracefully and concede that you were mistaken....to do anything else would be wrong-headed and obstinate.

For years and years, I alwats believed that you only buttered on side of the bread when making a butty (sandwich), then my Mum told me that no, in fact both slices of bread are buttered, then you shove whatever you fancy in the middle. I listened to a more knowledgable person, I reviewed and critically analysed what I had formally 'known', I tried a new approach and by golly she was correct! Thats how we learn..

I apply critical thinking. Research validity of the argument presented and person presenting it. Accept it if it is true or a better description. It's quite a buzz when that happens.
I don't think I believe anything is true. I just accept it probably is until proven otherwise.

I rarely come across information that goes against what I believe is true. I try not to attach belief to things that I am uninformed of and rarely will get into a discussion on a topic of which I am ignorant. If I'm presented information and data that does oppose what I think is accurate, then I verify the data that does go against what I thought I knew, and then have no choice other than to assimilate it into my understanding.

I don't mind admitting gaps in my knowledge, so am always looking for new information and evidence to either reinforce current ideas or to challenge and modify them.

I research the validity of such claims. The world comes up with discoveries every day.

that doesn't happen often because i am always examining and learning.

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:217104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.