Agnostic.com

28 5

At what point is charity necessary? At what point do you say NO?

I am fortunate I live in a 1st world country with free medical, free education and a generous welfare system. I personally have a problem with a high consumption life style so I don't live one. That is me, my personal choice, I don't push it on others. I get a kick out of being self sufficient so my expenses are minimal and as they reduce, I reduce my level of income. As of 1st January this year income has been halved as I now share it with my son who is taking up the lifestyle, so less work for me but we share the work and the income. We plan to live this year on 1/4 of the base pension in this country. We both perform LOTS of voluntary work in our community and have other causes we support with our efforts. Each week I get approached by people for money, basically beggars, people who get at least twice as money per week as I do, the last girl wanted me to go to an ATM to withdraw money to give her for transport, so she could collect a cash handout in another town,she was smoking while she was asking me. I am always polite when I decline, I try and explain I have no money to spare when I feel like telling them to sort their lives out and stop being a blight on society. But I don't. Then I always get the abuse and snide comments. To me it is not charity to give these people money, I see them as scammers. Many times I have offered to take them into where I work, we have a community pantry, we hand out food, we grow vegetables so people have access to fresh food. All they want is cash. People see me as tough and mean, they ain't seen nothing yet. Do you believe it is necessary to give just because people ask?

Rugglesby 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope.... I give blood and donate to the red cross. The wounded warriors. Salvation army and the VFW. Wife gives to the cripple children and the the same as me ... that's it. I'm a cheap guy I guess...

I would ask to to reconsider giving money to the salvation army. 98% of the money will go to evangelical work. They have also been quite outspoken on LGBTV rights [huffingtonpost.com]

@273kelvin. Wow.... I didn't know that...

I say 'no' only when I have nothing left to give. But then, I am a Christian.

Charity means love, coming from the Greek, I think, for grace. I have seen the beggars who stay down because of whatever drug of choice. Most do not want to go get a sandwich, etc. A graceful person should be able to discern a person/family in real need. Those you try to help. The ones who will always want to be given money, cigs, beer, etc, etc you politely decline as you can.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21760
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.