Agnostic.com

40 3

Can black people be racist?

Racism is often defined this way: the preferential treatment, privilege and power in society for white people at the expense of people of color. As the institutions in this society were created primarily by and for white people, only white people can participate in racism. Black people can be bigoted, yes, but they can't be racist as they do not own the institutions of power.

• 8 votes
  • 74 votes
  • 9 votes
Jesusluvsu 6 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my opinion any race is capable of racism and prejudice. I believe your initial definition of racism is incorrect. As far as ownership of institutional power, Caucasians do not hold the majority of power everywhere, ie Asia, Africa, and the Middle East just to name a few. Many of these cultures have an extreme proclivities towards racism either religion based or nationality. No where could I find a definition exclusively pertaining to white people. I would even beg to differ on the point of the correlation between racism and institutional power. I've witnessed multiple incidents of racism from multiple nationalities, none of which held any power....just ignorance and prejudice based on backward learned behavior. Much like religion.

Definition of racism (Merriam-Webster)

1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b : a political or social system founded on racism

3: racial prejudice or discrimination

I'm glad the polls show that most of you aren't stupid.

So what is it called when someone is culturally prejudice?

As an example, if I'm a white American man who hates British culture, what is that called?

(And NO, I don't hate the Brits!)

That’s baffling my dear eel pie hating , royal family bashing , Islamic mayor electing British culture is bemusing. HATES maybe a bit strong. The Poms have contributed a lot.

@Seriousreason: I found the term, it would be called Anglophobic...but, like I said, I don't have issues with the British Royals, but please hold back the eel pies (I thought that was Scottish?)

It's called personal taste .

[parents.com]

I would say that anyone can be racist, and the above suggests that sadly we all are.

All people are capable of descriminating, or being prejudiced, against anyone else on the basis of race. Thants what racism is. Everyone has the responsibility to not be racist toward other people. That responsibility exists because we all have the right to not be descriminated against by other people. Rights and responsibilities. So to answer the question yes black people can be racist.

Blacks do own the institutions of power in many countries. So yes, black people can be racist. And so can anyone else for that matter.

Rohingya in Myanmar for instance.

Check out on you tube .Blue Mink melting pot.Its a sone that very relative.Enjoy.

It boils down to he power struggle. In America a black person can't be racists. If Black culture was a superpower in any region of the world then yes in that said area they could be racist against other races.

In one African country they are trying to introduce apartheid. Me and my black girlfriend had a big squabble with the police over this. The (black) policeman only apologised to ME when they took the driver out for not obeying the rules.

In the Gambia black people are supposed to use the yellow cabs. White people are supposed to use the green cabs. They pay different rates of tax and charge different amounts. OK, allegedly it's not colour but whether you are a tourist or not.

Black or white, tourist or non-tourist, which of us was in the wrong cab?

Policeman offers to call us another cab. We told him where to go and stormed off up the hill. And quickly got another taxi. Guess which colour we picked.

Yes, all people can be racist. However, racist black people do not have the institutional power backing up their beliefs to create a huge problem for white people.

Consider names on a job application. A white manager might be more likely to pick Jane for an interview than Janelle, and a black manager might be more likely to do the opposite, but in all likelihood there are far more white managers than black managers due to unequal economics, educational access, etc. that racist white managers are more likely to be in places of power where they can have a real impact on black people.

Why the hell are you asking this question??? People are being nice to you... Do yourself a favor and take it down.

Racism is just a specific type of prejudice. Everyone has the ability to judge people based on something stupid including the amount of melanin produced in your body.

I don't agree with your definition, prejudice can be against anyone regardless of position in society. Belief that a race is superior or inferior to another happens regardless of power.

I don't agree with your definition, prejudice can be against anyone regardless of position in society. Belief that a race is superior or inferior to another happens regardless of power.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.