Agnostic.com

35 8

Is it easy for you to adapt to change?

I found it easy for me once the change had been made. I moved in August away from the downtown area of Colorado Springs. Now I'm in the rich part of town, known as The Garden Of The Gods. My new work and living situation were not too difficult to get used to. My home took a little longer. Do you adapt to change well?

Sarahroo29 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It depends on the nature of the change, really. I consider myself to be quite adaptable in general, but adapting to some things is much easier than adapting to others. For example, when I moved from Central Wisconsin to Southern California, I adapted to SoCal rather quickly. It almost felt as though I had always lived there. Then, years later, when I moved from SoCal to Indianapolis, that was a completely different story. I never felt comfortable there, but found a way to get by and survive. I guess that's adapting, but it was difficult because for the entire time I lived there I wanted to leave. I finally did, and ended up back where I started -- which was a very easy adaptation.

By far, the most difficult adaptation was learning to live with Type 1 diabetes. Now, more than 30 years later I am still here, so I obviously adapted. It was quite difficult at times, though.

So, in general, I adapt well to change. I always find a way. However, it is not always easy.

I adapt well too.

I fear and resent change and when I eventually adapt to changes, I fear and resent changes to that change. It's a vicious circle.

Very much so, change is the only constant in life.

No... not really. I like to make my own changes and I can work around any discomfort. If change is forced on me I get irritable. That's why I go to burger king and subway.... I want it my way. Like the golden rule states... those who own the gold makes the rules.

For what?

What? Say something useful, doesn't have to be profound, just relative to the conversation.

@TiredofBS1 You wrote just "sorry." I asked, "For what?" What are you sorry for?

@Sarahroo29 It confused me too.

@BlueWave Ikr?

Yes, well and quickly.

It depends on what the change is.
But for the most part, I roll with the punches.

Yep.

Yeah, I think change is always uncomfortable but you either give in to your fears and anxieties or you embrace them and learn to enjoy or at least master change ... don't let it control you 🙂

It was once much easier because I hadn't found my 'niche'. After a lot of changes I pretty much have found it. As one ages change is harder and harder to adapt to. The inevitable physical changes are hard enough. Also, it depends on if the change is sudden or gradual. Gradual is much easier. Kind of like the boiling frog syndrome.

It is a interesting / humorous simile (not a metaphor if we say "like" ), but according to science it's not really true. [en.wikipedia.org]. But I take the point.

@Dallasdave The basic premise is true. Too often we tolerate things we normally wouldn't if it is done gradually. There were other, better links to the frog demonstration but I choose this one because it was more eye catching.

Yep.

When your body doesn't work you quickly get used to everything being beyond your control.

When you're used to everything being beyond your control, change is nothing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.