Agnostic.com

14 2

Does anyone here still like "religious" type music. ie; "Amazing Grace" or "When the Saints?" I still consider those songs to be more than listenable...I think they are good tunes.

MauricioSage 3 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have 2 religious guilty pleasure songs, Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) and Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum). Hallelujah is just so haunting and I just love the 70's hippy-dippy feel of Spirit in the Sky.

Jesus Walks - Kanye West

Nearer my God to Thee is one of my favorite songs. Of course, I associate with the Titanic, of which I'm an enthusiast.

Sure, I think Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen) is fantastic but while a song, even an overtly religious song, might be moving it's not the divine that moves me 🙂

Sometimes my mom asks me to go to church with her. It's important for her so oblige. I love singing even if the words don't mean the same anymore.

Dove Level 3 Feb 9, 2018

Amazing Grace is um..amazing. I love the Dropkick Murphy's version. Heard a lone piper do it in Edinburgh too, gave me goosebumps

Yes. I've always found "church music" beautiful.

The grateful dead recorded amazing grace

Yes, music is universal and many religious songs (or all faiths) are very good. I will always sing carols at Xmas even though I don't "celebrate" any religion.

Ohh Christmas music is awesome too! The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is to sing loud for all to hear ~ Elf

@Marcie1974 Anyone who doesn't feel something singing "Good King Wenceslas" or "Silent Night" doesn't have a heart 😉 I can't say that any other hymns stir me much though and certainly the religious elements mean noting to me.

I still listen to Johnny Cash and enjoy his religious songs.

I can listen to Mahalia Jackson any day!

Amazing Grace was written by a slave holder. Perhaps he gave his slaves the freedom which gave him grace. J.S. Bach wrote for the church & in my opinion is some of the greatest works of music ever created. I used to like Gospel but then it became too intrusive when the Christian Coalition & Baptist ideology began its rise.

Not only those eminently catchy tunes, but as a performer in an oratorio choir (Mozart, Beethoven, etc) in which most of the music is "religious," let's not get overly pedantic about music. We can love it because music is amazing, even as non-believers!

I'd rather shave my head with a hacksaw blade...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21787
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.