11 4

LINK Believing without evidence is always morally wrong | Aeon Ideas

By tnorman1236
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

11 comments

Unfortunately, this article does not clarify what would constitute sufficient evidence, or what would be a test for sufficient evidence for a belief. If I get to determine what is sufficient evidence, then everything I believe has sufficient evidence to convince me, and therefore everything I believe is always morally right.

Heraclitus Level 7 Nov 13, 2018

True. I just thought it was a thought-provoking article.

Oh lord . . .

I thought I was done with this apistevistY crap.

Mb_Man Level 5 Nov 13, 2018

This is what all churches call faith.

Marine Level 8 Nov 9, 2018

Yes, but there are beliefs we all carry that have nothing to do with religion.

@tnorman1236 If they are based on faith ,hearsay and are lacking proof or investigation there of it isn't any different.

REALLY?
We all believe many things without any evidence (if you mean scientific evidence)
We believe that bills and coins have a value; that Belgium exists; that laws apply; that there are human rights; that Emmanuel Macron is Le Président de la République française ....
And the only 'evidence' we have for these beliefs: that other people believe it too (and there are documents written by those other people)

Matias Level 7 Nov 8, 2018

"Believing without evidence is always morally wrong" - I'm going to need some evidence if I am to believe this claim. (And evidence is not the same as arguments, which is what are presented in the article.)

John_Tyrrell Level 5 Nov 8, 2018

To believe something/anything without tangible, irrefutable, empirically tried and tested proof/evidence is the epitome of Utter Idiocy and a blight upon human intellect.

Triphid Level 7 Nov 7, 2018
  1. Andrew Wakefield and autism
  2. Hitler and the Jews
  3. Pol Pot and economics
  4. Mother Teresa of Kolkata and orphans
irascible Level 8 Nov 7, 2018

From the late great Carl Sagan.
"I don't want to believe, I want to know".

TristanNuvo Level 7 Nov 7, 2018

"Morally wrong"? How about just plain stupid?

AnneWimsey Level 8 Nov 7, 2018

That too

@Donotbelieve . . . And the foundation of religion.

‘it is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence’

It's giving 'Justified, True, Belief' a moral slant. I don't think these epistemology terms work well as moral theory, which I think ought to be concerned with the will, rules/principals, intentions/motives and results/consequences.

cava Level 7 Nov 7, 2018

I see what you mean, but I still think he was making an important observation.

I love that expression about the spreading of religion as 'polluting the well of collective knowledge'.

brentan Level 7 Nov 7, 2018

Yep.

Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!