Agnostic.com

9 5

Have you ever had a conversation with a religious person in which you were able to alter their thinking?
I have a cousin who is/was a very devoted Christian. We once had a quite rational discussion about religion and his beliefs. I posed some questions that pointed out some of the inconsistencies in religion. At the time he responded in much the same way as you might expect. But then, roughly 15 years later we were talking on the phone and he mentioned that he had often thought about that conversation, and it made him question his beliefs. Needless to say, I was pretty stunned.

Taijiguy 6 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is only possible to alter one's own thinking. You may help another person - by communicating in some form - but only if that person is ready to listen and consider what you say. One of my favorite sayings sort of applies here: "When the student is ready, the teacher appears."

marga Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

I find my logical approach to the topic generally just pisses them off

A former friend of mine and I talked each other out of being Christians, and then I talked another friend we used to go to church with out of Christianity, and now I'm talking to yet another friend we all used to go to church with, not necessarily to convince him, but to get him to understand and respect science, and the topic of slavery came up and I showed him all the verses I had a problem with and I asked him if he knew what God's position was on slavery, and he said "I used to think so; now I'm not so sure." I asked him what he was uncertain about given what we had just read. So that seemed to rattle him a bit.

I think it's possible to change thinking. I've done it and had it done numerous times. It just takes patience and a lot of conversation.

A number of times I've had such a discussion. I won't let a disagreement become an argument. Asking questions seems to be the key for me.

If that is the case, he already had the seeds of doubt when the conversation occurred.

I never discuss religion or politics unless I am asked, then I give my views and reasons. If someone wants to get into a debate, i will ask them if there is any chance that I will change their mind and when say no, I say you won't change my mind either, so why waste our breath.

It was a series of conversations. When I met my ex, he was very religious and hated that I was agnostic. I became atheist a few years later and he followed me there eventually. We're no longer together, but he's still an atheist.

It takes some time for people to emotionally process the possibility of godlessness.

Sort of. My best friend is a Christian and values the Bible very much. We have had intense discussions about the issue of abortion, and while she is still against it for religious reasons, she has been able to change the way she sees women who choose to have one and not judge them for their choice.

Amie Level 3 Feb 7, 2018

I got my son to think. Hes in a very religous family atmosphere. I told him to be carefull ...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.