Agnostic.com

6 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was not raised "in religion" despite both of my parents coming from religious families. My dad was a 7th Day Adventist and my mom was Lutheran (She was a German National her whole life despite spending most of it in the US). My parents NEVER practiced their religions and never pushed them on me or my siblings. For that I am thankful. Even with that safe home environment, I was not protected from religious predators out "in the real world." Shortly after my family moved to California, I was invited to a social gathering by a friend and neighbor (and fellow student). I was 16 at the time. The event was, interestingly, a Halloween party through my friend's churches youth group (a Baptist church). I don't even remember the event itself, but as I was being dropped off at my house, the youth leader "witnessed" to me in the middle of the street outside my house. He pointed out that we were standing in the middle of the street and said "if a car came around the corner right now and ran you down and killed you, do you KNOW whether or not you'd go to Heaven?" Of course I didn't know, and said so. He then said "Would you like to know?" Of course I would. Then I got the "take Jesus into your heart and be saved" pitch, which I fell for hook, line, and sinker. This man (whose name was Mike Flood, oddly), deliberately manipulated my still rather impressionable mind right where he wanted it. That was the beginning of my rather zealous religious experience. I became heavily involved in the small, local Baptist church and managed to piss off just about everyone I knew trying to "save" them. I have seen the light now, LOL! And am somewhat ashamed of my behavior back then. I see religion for what it is now; an institution created by Humans to control other Humans.

I will also say that darn cognitive dissonance and the compartmentalization things that are going on.

Brainwashing and instilling fear of acceptance in society

Most pastors are motivational speakers and they indoctrinate their congregation. That is why regular attendance is encouraged. Sales managers use the same tactics.

Good read but what else is new?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22004
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.