Agnostic.com

13 3

Can the term "born again" be applied to any new beginning?
Does it have to relate to Christianity?

Shelton 8 Feb 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It conceivably could be used otherwise I suppose.

You person, I answered you. My term for born again as you so simply call it, is the same as my term REINCARNATION! Now if you are referring to John 3:16, that is where Biblically you cannot get to heaven unless you are born again. I was raised Baptist and 'born again' you Biblical way. I was totally dunked in the water Just as Jesus. Do I think GOD, if you or who ever have one like this sends a baby to puratory or hell because he is only sprinkled or no water. My family unless you complete the whole Baptism you cannot get to heaven. You also have to accept Jesus as your savior at the time. You DO YOUR BAPTISM that way. I done did it once. I have went my own path a very long time ago. I do not accept being labeled so ou cannot label me. In my UNiVERSE = Reincarnation and GOD or Savior? IN my UNIVERSE, ALL paths lead to GOD! Now you got born again and to me they are the same. When you Reincarnate, you never die. So you go your way and thankfully do not tell me mine is wrong. Besides I have both!

I suppose not. But to me it has always implied that what came before was bad or irrelevent. I disagree. I am the sum of everything I have been, done, and learned.

They pretty much spoiled it with their bumper stickers. But new beginning is a wonderful, all purpose term for what is going on.

I prefer to call it a fresh start but I know what you mean

You can borrow my term, I say, " New day new Life.". Works for me. 🙂

I honestly don't think so. Being "born again" applies to choosing to change dramatically as a person in both thought and action.

Choosing to change, as a person.

“you must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame;
how could you rise anew if you have not first become ashes?”
? Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

cava Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

I suppose it could, Shelton, but I think it's highly inaccurate and misleading. The phrase, 'born again' actually means a person converted to a personal faith in Christ (with reference to John 3:3). "a born-again Christian" I think catharsis comes close enough.

it is called Reincarnation and I believe.

I think it's too late for that term to be used without the religious connotation being observed.
Religion ruins everything.

Reincarnation has nothing to do with religion. Go read a book.

@BettyColeman Didn't say anything about 'reincarnation'. The term that was asked about was 'born again'.

@BettyColeman Reincarnation is a precept of Tebetian Buddhism. Last I checked that is a religion.

8 years celibate, I used to say I was a born again virgin.

So I take it you and @twshield never left off the "virgin" right? I think "born again" pretty much only means Christian now unless modified. Kind of like "gay" no longer means "happy".

@JeffMurray I think I can be born again whatever I want to be. My life, my choice, I can call it what ever I want to call it, and if anyone doesn't like it they don't matter to me.

@Shelton you give me hope that there will be a lucky man.

@HippieChick58 Didn't ask if you can, asked if you did...

Well I don't know. But you have my permission to use the language you want to. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22012
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.