Agnostic.com

4 6

LINK Switzerland has a stunningly high rate of gun ownership — here's why it doesn't have mass shootings

Switzerland is often used as the example that gun ownership does not equal gun violence but Switzerland also has gun control and healthy gun culture. Good read

Lukian 8 Nov 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The fear and loathing culture in America goes all the way back to the slavery issue. Most militias were formed due to the fear slaves (which out numbered the white population in some areas) would rise up and pillage and rape. Politicians have always used fear of others but in American we have taken it to new levels. We promote fear and the religious right plays a much bigger role than in other countries.

I was visiting with a friend from high school yesterday. I will share with you what I feel are the 2 differences between Canada and the US aside from the obvious differences in gun laws and I feel is likely a contributing factor if not the outright reason.

Fear and empathy. It seems like most Americans I know are way more afraid of people "out to get them, specifically" than any Canadian I ever met. Why would people target you, specifically, ever? It's like the prevailing thoughts in the US are something IS going to happen, not something could happen. I have some US friends that say "Well I wouldn't shoot anyone unless they broke into my house." Difference is I don't think Canadians even think that way...I would help you haul my TV out...or whatever...I am not shooting someone over a TV or possessions. I guess the culture I have seen or been exposed to is that for the Americans I know they are much more worried about someone doing them harm than is common, in my experience, for Canadians. Some of this is likely historical with you going to war with your oppressors (Britain) while in Canada we simply negotiated our independence. It almost seems like the differences people have are held at the higher value and not the similarities you share. Like every conflict must have a clear victor and defeated. We don't do this with anyone we love because you would certainly lose them with no ability to compromise, why must it be that way on a national level?

Then the lack of empathy. This isn't universal for all Americans but a societal leaning based on your common political policies. I mean it is shocking, to me, that a country created to eliminate the class distinctions and monarchy/blood lines, reveres its own elites and bluebloods SO much. More shocking a country that was cutting edge on technology doesn't understand everyone needs a great base education...not just people with $$ to pay for it. Everyone is concerned with jobs and the workforce but if they aren't educated and some people can't stay healthy affordably, what are your chances really of having a fit capable workforce. I am not going to say it is political divide either because neither side has fixed although I do believe Obama was the first to start it moving that direction. These 2 things change everyone's future and improve the future of the US as a country. Why is it just not done? It works everywhere else and I would suggest it is not really working here as a whole.

profound!

@Lukian Not sure it is profound. Just an observation I have been pondering over with all the shootings and general divisiveness

@maxhyde meant profound as in you have been deeply thinking about it...

@Lukian oh yes. Sorry my bad. Yeah it is a perplexing situation. I find our cultures very similar but there is a very different "feel". Just trying to make as much sense of it as I can

@maxhyde the fear of danger angle is what was explored in the Docu-movie Bowling for Columbine. In particular, in the scene comparing Detroit to across the pond in Windsor.

@Lukian Cool I will have to watch that. Thanks

I’ve come across similar info regarding Canada, mostly focusing on the cultural differences to the US.

I'm not familiar with the rest of Canada, but in Québec there are very tight gun regulations and restrictions (mostly after the Polytechnic massacre)

Aside from a much smaller population, there is probably a lot less gun violence in Switzerland because there are far fewer arseholes per capita.
Allowing arseholes to have guns means a lot more shootings.
It's a pretty simple concept.

Well in the article they actually cover that subject. Their gun control is somewhat based on a vouching/peer review concept as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:221315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.