Agnostic.com

24 3

What is the best and worst thing someone has said about you? Was it true? Did you care or do anything about it?

Crimson67 8 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mother was terminal and after a hepren-lock implant, she never really came back to consciousness. I visited every day and one sister went almost as often, but she didn't know us or her surroundings. She fought against her restraints. We both independently decided to take the weekend off and regroup. Instead, I awoke early and went to see her on Sunday. She died during that visit. The worst thing that could be said, was said by that sister: "You get the bulk of mom's estate. How do we know you didn't do something to kill her early?" It was difficult, but I put it down to mourning. However, she has always had, and still does have, a problem containing her emotional thoughts. Still, it is the most vile thing someone could say.

The best thing said to me were actions, not words. After spending a few hours getting her bequeaths in order, discussing her desires for fumeral services, and what to do with her ashes, we were finished. She helped me gather my things, and as I was ready to leave, we looked at each other for a moment or two. We fell into a long, embracing hug, full of love and strength and acceptance. We parted as wordlessly. I'm tearing up thinking about it, and it was 33 years ago. 🙂

There was one thing that was both. You are a bum, and if you don't care that you're a bum, I'm going to leave. That was said to me at age 15 by a girlfriend. The same girl, shown in my picture. She changed my life with those words that day. I snapped (in a healthy way) I needed her to leave me, and she did. I ended all ties to my drug friends. I begged my parents to allow me to enroll in military school, and I insisted that I repeated a grade and finally I asked for help. For the first time, I wanted a future, so I learned how to learn, and I am grateful to her for being willing to be so mean that day. I owe her everything, and she doesn't ask for anything.

@witchymom I've never in all my life found anyone that loves and accepts me for who I am the way she does. She tells me every day that she appreciates me and every day she shows me that she loves me. I have been taught to be a better man by her, and I am because of her.

The best and worst was the same thing. Someone called me "diabolical".
They meant it as an insult, I took it as a compliment.
I laughed, and they didn't appreciate that I wasn't sufficiently daunted by their accusation.

I moved out pretty early mostly due to lack of support from my parents. I got a 2 year degree in nursing for insurance and wanted to be a doctor but was not quite sure about it, I connected with a guy that was doing a pediatric internship. One night we were sitting on front porch talking about future goals . He just said "you can be a doctor". Simple statement but it stayed with me and I went on to do that

Best: Somebody said that I was the best teacher they'd ever had.

Worst: Somebody else said that I was a degenerate.

Sadly: They were both probably right!

Someone told me I was not a "nice guy."

I know that sounds stupid, but I was crushed. Probably because at the time, she was correct.

Best thing? Wow, I can't come up with something and that bugs me.

A friend at work told me I see the good in everybody. That made me feel pretty good. I try to take the high road in general but some of the fuckers one runs into on a regular basis make it difficult. I really can't think of anything particularly crushing...

You’re asking questions I’d likely regret answering 😀

Varn Level 8 Feb 8, 2018

the worst thing is " don't worry we can still be friends " and the best thing is " I'm never coming back "

My ex claimed on a legal document that my kids were in fear of me, and had them taken to a "safe house" until we could get to court. Once I had them back, kids and I moved out and eventually I was awarded sole custody. Almost on his deathbed my father said I was the worst son any father could ever have. Maybe I was the worst son he could have had, and I can live with that.

maybe he was the worst dad

I was once told that I say the most terrible things to people in the nicest way possible. I think that she was trying to insult me, but I took it as a complement.

Best thing being called daddy by my 2 daughters

My dad called me dumb when I was a kid. I'm sure it was said to him... it don't hurt Any More because he turned out to be an asshole... yep... a real one.
Amy said I was cool. That's the latest nice thing said to me....woo hoo!
A lot of my friends in here have said nice things to me and I'm really touched by their kindness.

The best thing I can hear is,”you are a true friend.”
The worst thig I’ve heard was,” You look like a Neo-Nazi. I’m going to take you to the mall, buy you some clothes and get you laid.”

I've been told that I have no feelings. I'm a farmer, a teacher, a gardener and an artist. I'm one big seething hormone, ha! But I don't 'react', rather, I respond and that's where people mistake me for having no feelings. They tend to look for immediate reactions rather than thoughtful responses.

the good - I'm not very materialistic and I'm very easy to talk talk to. I've been told I should have been a teacher which I liked. the bad - I probably never heard it, but what i did hear I thought was true at the time, but it turns out that was wrong. I was simply under the spell of someone else's mental illness.

I lost a job at Subway one time and a former friend of mine yelled at me and called me a worthless piece of shit.

If they say something that is true , I accept it , even if they could have been nicer about it . If it's not true , it's their peril that they don't know the truth . People can be mean , & they can get under my skin , I just don't remember anything at the moment .

Dougy Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

Calling me a "fool white man" 2/3rds false I am Cherokee posessing wisdom the racist child insulting me is a confessed fool by his lies @ me

I too have a bit of Native American in me though I'm mostly European. I remember one time though I told a former friend that I was feeling depressed and she responded by saying 'why? You're a white man!'

@MrControversy agreed racist assumptions perpetuate NOT CONFRONT racism. ....I suffered my racist father INSIST HE (was) IS WHITE calling his grandmother a SQUAW. ....FIGHT for living wages for all QUIT ASSUMING whites are universally favored to the detriment of minorities. ....a rising tide lifts all boats in a white or Red or Black sea

My mom once called me... <sniff>... "a good kid." And then she twisted the knife by calling me a... <sniff, honk, snort>... sweetheart. I've never been able to get past that.

It depends on if he or she is willing to talk about it. Mostly the other is not. Than it's dust on my shoulders ready to be wiped away.

Gert Level 7 Feb 8, 2018

Best thing: Having someone I respect who tell me that my band 'one of the best punk bands he had ever seen' months after we had played. Out of nowhere at a Gwar show. But there are so many. I don't allow people to be bullied, so I have helped a lot of people.

Worst: Well, I can't go there. But one of the worst was when we went to the police because things were getting out of hand with a group (to put it mildly) that had come to our town for a show called Resist/Exist. The cops said, 'Deal with it yourself, it isn't our problem.' That's a paraphrase, because I was stunned. So we did. The cops really should have done their job.

My daughter called me a "loser" moving to Thailand, but when she visited me for two months a year ago, she changed her mind and said I was "living in paradise."

I remember family party and in the table they were talking about me when I was in the kitchen... my GF came to tell me... they are talking about you... I told her... let them. And I don't want to know what they are saying. My nephew's wife don't like me because I know she would cheat on him if not already doing it. I am the only one here from those on the table that can pick up camp and move to another state... Can do whatever he wants to do without asking permission to anyone. So they resent how I look at them when they talk and bitch about their problems because my answer is always the same... "I wouldn't know about that. I don't have that problem". In my family I am not the Black Sheep, I am the Exception to the Rules and they Hate that. So I always understood since being a child. Mother in law said terrible things about me to my son... I will dance on her grave one day.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22135
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.