Agnostic.com

17 3

Should religious organizations remain tax exempt?

• 0 votes
  • 53 votes
  • 6 votes
silvereyes 8 Oct 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pay property tax like the rest of us. Freeloaders..

Marz Level 7 Nov 22, 2017

More tax should be collected from them.

They wont keep out of politics so tax their asses!

Why ? They are only businesses like any other .

The existing tax code specifically states that religions are only tax exempt s long as they stay out of politics... or in other words if they wan ta boice in government then they shoudl help support the government. We shoudl be pushing out congressmen and senators to enforce that part of the tax code.

If a church engages in political activities be it supporting or not supporting a candidate for office, supporting or not supporting a law being voted on or any sort of political activity it loses its exempt status according to the rule of the separation of church and state. [latimes.com]

SamL Level 7 Oct 26, 2017

As in so many other areas of life, I have a difficult time painting religious organizations with a brush that is only black or white. There are countless organizations all over the country (world?) that provide valuable community outreach services. Many of them do not spend frivolously, and struggle at times just to keep their lights on. That said, there are also those who's actions are difficult to label as anything other than criminal.

As daddy4pugs alluded to, I think religious organizations should have to report earnings, justify their expenses and be taxed accordingly. One factor to be considered could be the size of the congregation compared to congregational expenditures. Another, where are they spending money outside the congregation.

If a church is pouring all of their "disposable" income into the local food shelf and programs for the homeless, why take away their ability to do that? If however they're spending that money on unnecessary land acquisition, private jets and yachts, there should be no acceptable justification for that.

Here in Canada they pay no tax on the church property, profits made over operation expenses on everything that falls under there charitable status which is most everything but investments in businesses their charitable status but by reinvesting profits back into the charitable operation they can pay nothing.

I would like to see them taxed the same as small businesses and pay property taxes.

In my opinion if a church actually spends the majority of its donations on the community then it should probably be tax exempt.

Tejas Level 8 Oct 26, 2017

There are four categories of tax exemption in the US. Health, education, welfare, and religion. The first three file a 990 form with the government, which means that they have to declare their income and for what it is used. Religions do not file and their tax exempt profits are not recorded. We can only estimate their incredible wealth. Not only do they accept donations, as well as selling holy oil, holy water, DVD's, and books, but they own vast amounts of land. That land is bought, sold, rented out, and used for profit making businesses, without paying a dime in taxes. In addition, the churches run other profit making businesses which they categorize under religious exemption. They also will operate schools, soup kitchens, and health facilities, filing under religion, instead of education, welfare, or health, enabling them to cheat the tax payer. We are all subsidizing religious organizations, which violates our separation between state and church.

Here in Hawaii churches do pay tax! However, they don't pay at the same rate as others. They pay LESS, a lot less. While a homeowner would pay an amount on their property at a set rate based on the value, but churches pay the minimum tax regardless how much their property is worth.

Disgusting. Make them pay. If they are pay the minimum, then they are not declaring incomes, which is a federal rule.

currently they are not required to notify the govt. where their sheltered money is going. NOT GOOD. Too many crooks in the business who siphon the money to their own grand life styles. Right off true charitable deeds by all means.

I say no but I think the smaller places of worship with membership under a certain amount should still be granted tax exemption status. Mega Churches though? They should be paying their fair share of taxes considering they take in millions of dollars monthly

I disagree. I should pay for no church. Let them declare income and we'll see their exact worth.

They are but a large for-profit business with an invisible product used to brain wash people into what ever they interpret their good book to say or not to say. Even if they give away all their proceeds they should still be taxed.

In addition, any religious group which devotes money to any political cause should be fined severely.

I voted no.
I've seen people say "if we start taxing the churches, then they'll get the right to influence our government".
To that I say, if you don't think they already do in a big way, you're mistaken.

Hahahaha. Damn good point.

Especially with the Johnson Amendment in Republican crosshairs.

Since they're so involved in politics today, they should pay taxes. The day that separation of church and state is actually enforced, then we can reconsider that w/certain conditions. However, many 'religious' people take taxable money from their businesses, then create a bogus church so they can transfer the business money to the church to avoid paying taxes. That should never happen.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2218
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.