Agnostic.com

14 4

Are Atheists represented in the U.S. Congress?

Does anyone know of an openly atheist congressperson currently or soon to be serving in the U.S. Congress?

Diogenes1972 6 Nov 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

..takes me back to my hometown of Portland, Oregon.. I don’t know that he’s ever openly proclaimed his atheism, though I bet it wouldn’t be too hard to squeeze it out of him. And what a guy.. While manning the Dem’s booth at our state fair (yah, got to go to state!) I was once mistaken for Earl. Told her, that’s likely the highest compliment I’ve ever received 🙂 Miss him, and Oregon: [blumenauer.house.gov]

Varn Level 8 Nov 13, 2018

They will sell their souls to anyone for the Almighty Dollar. With all the blood on their hands I would have to thing that they are all qualified Fascists if that qualifies as a Religion. I don't consider the Southern Christian Coalition religious by any stretch of the imagination.

That’s sick - and wrong, sir. If you’ve not met an honest US Congressional Representative, you’re runnin with the wrong pack.

Megan Hunt, a Progressive Atheist, Just Won a Seat in Nebraska’s Legislature

[friendlyatheist.patheos.com]?

Yes! ..thought I’d just been dreaming… now I remember having been mesmerized by her.. Damn, maybe there’s hope ~

I would imagine yes.

Not something useful to talk about for a next term though.

they have to stay in the closet

They re but they sometimes refer to themselves as nones. See my posting about Danny Westneat.

If I'm not mistaken, the newly elected REP from Nebraska is.

Megan Hunt. I just commented about her.

According to American Atheist there is 1 Atheist that's in congress. Visit the site www.americanatheist.org

i am pretty sure bernie sanders is an atheist -- as sure as it is possible to be without knowing him personally and without his having declared himself to be one (which wouldn't be anyone's business).

g

Good to know. I just now found out that the new senator from Arizona, Sinema, is openly non-theist, and bi-sexual. I had no idea. Then again, unless someone else brings it up, it never even occurs to me to inquire about anyone's private life.

Although I hesitate to claim him to say the least I believe trump is an atheist/apathetic/agnostic who is using religion as a cloak. Im sure quite a few others do the same for insidious reasons and quite a few for decent reasons. Its not legal for me as an atheist to run for any state gov positions in TN though and people still have a great deal of prejudice against atheists. Some poll said people literally trust child molesters more somehow, thats how warped the psyche of the religous ring wingnuts is at this point.

The only openly atheist candidate this go around that I heard of lost. We live in idiocracy.

It seems to be fashionable in politics to at least pretend to believe in a god of some sort.

I am unaware that there are any. At least none that are open about it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:222527
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.