Agnostic.com

7 13

How have you handled a crisis or emergency?

I have always stayed calm in a crisis. This was driven home yesterday when my daughter, 28, had a cancer scare. Claire was understandably panicked and hysterical because she has three lumps: underarm, breast and uterus area. Mammograms are scheduled for 11/19.

When Claire called, I said her fear was understandable. "The first time I had a non-cancerous, breast lump removed, I was so panicked I couldn't sleep in the hospital the night before, even though the nurse gave me sedatives," I said. "Breast cancer does not run in my family or your dad's."

Later, I sent Claire a text: "Don't worry about it. It's probably genetic. Since age 21, I have had fibroid, non-cancerous tumors: six in my breasts and five in my uterus. Still was able to have a baby: YOU! I got blase' about it after seeing a pattern. Love you."

Yesterday Claire's emotionally-distraught dad came over to vent about Claire. He has always depended on me to help him process and put things in perspective.

"I have always been very sensitive," Terry said dramatically, inferring that I am insensitive. I said nothing, inwardly rolling my eyes.

Yesterday Claire learned the lump in her uterus is an inflamed cyst. That was a huge relief. The doctor gave her an antibiotic to clear it up.

"Mom was very calm and reassuring," Claire told Terry.

I'm not insensitive. Instead I problem-solve in an emergency. Growing up on a lake in Michigan, accidents happened.

My brother, Lee, 9, fell through the ice while ice skating. Jumping up to gulp a breath through the hole, Lee was freezing and tiring fast. Kids on the beach were screaming uselessly. I quickly turned to Ricky Salvaggio who lived there.

“Are there oars under that rowboat?” I asked urgently. He nodded. “Quick, help me push the rowboat onto the ice! We’ll use the oars to push the rowboat to Lee.”

At 13, Ricky was a year older and bigger than me. Off we went, breaking ice with the oars.

“Ricky, lean that way to counter-balance me,” I ordered when we got to the hole where Lee fell in. “Grab the back of my pants and don’t let go!”

Leaning down into the icy water, I grabbed Lee’s jacket. “PULL!” Together we hauled Lee into the boat like a frozen lump.

Meanwhile, Mrs. Salvaggio called my mother. Mom calmly loaded the station wagon with blankets and drove five houses down to the Salvaggio’s.

When we got home, Mom put Lee in a hot bath. When Mom handed Lee a cup of hot chocolate, Lee was shaking so hard he spilled every drop into the tub.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@LiterateHiker I too problem solve I once went into a burning house to use the phone (before mobile phones) to get help, I calmly worked out that the fire wasn't going to get to the area where the phone was, how I was going to dial if I couldn't see and went in with wet coat over my mouth and nose so I wouldn't breathe in smoke. I fell to pieces hours later.

On a Friday night February 13th 1976 my mother woke me up sometime after 11 screaming for help I got out of bed and found her in the bathroom standing next to my father who was unconscious on the floor. He was not breathing I told my mother to call an ambulance and the fire department and began giving my father CPR. We lived in a rural area and an ambulance was at least 10 miles away the fire department was all volunteer they took approximately 15 to 20 minutes to arrive where they relieve me of the CPR duties my mother had called my aunt who live 45 minutes away to come to the house when the ambulance arrived about a half an hour later my mother left in the fire department stayed until my aunt got there. She was a volunteer EMT in the town that she lived in I tried to reassure me that everything was going to be okay. I knew otherwise I could feel my father's life was body while trying to give him CPR and felt as though he was not responding the entire time it took for the ambulance to arrive. I knew he was dead as it turns out when my mother came home 3 in the morning I was correct in my assumption my father was dead. I had been in boy scouts for a number of years before that and wanted to get my first aid merit badge and was denied it because the person that taught me first aid was not the instructor in our troop. The hypocrisy of the thing was that they ordered it to me after that night. My father's death certificate was not Friday the 13th of that February because he was not officially declared dead until well after midnight on the 14th of February I guess you could say these two days are special to me. The next iron e I guess is recent I have a doctor's appointment coming up this February 14th and the receptionist jokedthat I would get to see all the ladies in the office that day and I laughed. I told her that the date had a different significance for me it was the day that my father had died. And she expressed her condolences and I laughed back because the other irony was the doctor's office I was going to it was my surgical oncologist. I have been free of cancer now for a little under a year and that really hasn't FaZe my life at all either. Other than the physical down turns that I've had to deal with but I'm still very enthusiastic about life and haven't really thought much about the cancer except for the toll and it has played upon my body. I think when stressful situations come up you need to not only think outside of the box but mentally step outside of the box also to remove yourself from the situation so as not to let it bother you as much. I have many many more stories that I can share I had neurological Lyme disease that went untreated for a very long time just prior to being diagnosed with cancer also I don't want to get into that conversation now. If anyone is interested in Lyme disease look me up on here and I know too much about it more than probably most of the doctors in the area . I hope this was helpful to someone thank you.

I seem to be wired to stay calm in emergencies. I rely on the Stoic philosophy I have learned to embrace, which is that I can control my emotions and how I choose to react to circumstances, not the circumstances themselves. I experience emotions but never, ever lose it.

Family, work, outings (camping, etc) and even the military (including experiencing a ship collision at sea) I always did well, at least until about eight years ago when my psyche gave up for a brief while, but that is not what I want to comment upon, that had multiple layers. Anyway, I was working a volunteer phone line, that also did CRISIS calls late at night before they were full time (early 90's). I got my first suicide call and I, Mr. Calm, panicked. The caller, feeling badly for me, not himself, promised he wouldn't do anything in order to help calm me down. Success at stopping my first suicide.

Yes, I have.
But the important thing here is that YOU are "taking care of business" for your family. I salute you brave woman!

I start making lists and plans and micromanaging.

Glad the cancer fear was a false alarm.

I share your response when dealing with crisis. Evaluate, plan, and calmly implement the best perceived plant to resolve or prevent further loss.

@NoMagicCookie

Claire has mammograms scheduled on 11/19, for the breast lump and the lump under her arm that hurts.

@LiterateHiker Hope it is not an indicator of non-Hodgkin lymphoma and Hodgkin lymphoma.

@NoMagicCookie

"A biopsy is your first defense," I told Claire. "Breast cancer does not run in our families."

We will see.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.