Agnostic.com

18 2

Today I interviewed for a job as a caregiver for the elderly. One of the situations they put me in was how I would answer a god or politics questions if one of the clients asked me. They said that we should stay away from both those, but when I answered, I told them I didn't believe in god, they said it didn't matter to them, but now I'm wondering if it really did. I did see religious framed sayings on their walls. I may have just screwed myself out of a job. Should I have lied? I don't think I should have, but I do need an job! What to do?!

geeky1965 6 Feb 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They did give you a clue when they said to "stay away from both those", so, since you weren't being asked to lie you probably should have if you wanted the job. You basically showed, by your answer, that you couldn't "stay away". Now, if they would have said, "profess belief", you may have had to stand your ground, but you weren't asked that, or to lie, just to "stay away", which probably makes sense when dealing with the elderly who may not only be set in their ways but physically/mentally/emotionally frail.

In the case of a care giver, I'd just go with what the person being cared for needs to hear. At that point in thier lives there is nothing to be gained by challenging anyone's personal beliefs. It is all part of spreading the love when it matters.

Or be vague & comforting if you can't feel that you can "lie".

it's priorities really. you don't have to lie but just don't offer answers or talk about it.

How about if you said, "Many people find comfort in their/those beliiefs"....why bludgeon an old sick person?
And I give the employer respect for trying to create a safe, calm environment for their sick clients, I would hire them to care for my Mom for sure!

I once worked for a gas station deli, one of my coworkers asked if I was catholic or chrisrian, and I said neither. I don't believe in any god. Not even a week later, I was given fewer and fewer hours until I just quit. From then on, I don't duscuss religion or politics with anyone I work for or with .. You could have just said no comment.

In theory, religion (or the lack thereof) may not be used as a 'litmus test' for employment. That said, you're a caregiver, and as such, you should definitely be aware of your future clients' frame of reference, which typically occupies a broad spectrum, but often leans toward 'traditional' faith. One need not lie when interviewing for such positions as you've described. However, a potentially reassuring approach might include your recognition of the plurality we enjoy as Americans, and that the care you provide would always be exemplary, no matter your client's personal philosophy.

There is only one thing to say and to stick to.........I will not discuss religion or politics as these are areas of no concern to them or anybody else, what my view is entirely my business only.

I agree, but I would add "I would state it nicely to our clients".

I was asked a similar question during an interview. My answer was, I respect and acknowledge all faiths. However, I don't follow any. (I still work there )
As for politics, my answer would have been, I have zero faith in multimillionaires, who which to line their own pockets.
Good luck with the job.

A few years ago, I worked for a company for 3 years then it changed hands. I worked for the new owner for 7 months. All seemed good. Then I invited him to a Christmas party (even tho I am atheist, my partner wasn't). He found out I was gay. I was fired before New Year's Day. The reason, I just don't fit in. This was in Florida a so called "right to work" state" where you can be fired for any reason, so even tho illegal as far as discrimination, extremely hard to prove. I never offer up the fact that I am Atheist or Gay. Self preservation. I don't deny it and will document the conversation it comes up in, but I don't offer it.

So sorry! I too lIve in Florida and the right to work state isn't what it claims. I how you're in a better place now! And happy!!

I live in AZ, also a "right to work" state, what an oxymoron!

It may have been their sneaky way of getting you to discuss your religious views without asking you outright (which would have been against the law). It's none of their business what you do or don't believe, so I'd feel comfortable sticking to the direct question. A diplomatic answer would have been my choice: "I know that each person's religious and political views are specific to that person, and that such views are often central to their life, so I'd show I'm listening and acknowledge that I understand what they're saying. If they ask me what I think, I'd try to mirror their energy as much as possible without committing to any particular viewpoint. And if they insist on an answer, I'd simply say with a smile that I avoid those topics at work, and make a small joke that it's best left to people much smarter than I am." Something like that, to show that I take the clients' views seriously, but that I'm not going to do or say anything that is likely to upset them.

I think you should say that it is personal thing and it doesn't matter to you what they believe in.

I never say I'm Atheist on a job interview. Hypocritical, yes practical, yes

I won’t lie about that. Ever.

Why not? Its not like you will fall prey to divine retribution. I wouldn't deny it but would never offer it. Thats almost suicidal in an interview

Yeah maybe don’t offer it, but I have found that I am happier not pretending. If they ask, I’ll tell. @ollieberry

@NothinnXpreVails Exactly. Kind of like being gay in the service under Clinton. Don't ask, don't tell

Well, I respond also, I guess. Regardless whether asked or not @ollieberry

One has to follow his/her own inner guide on this. Some know that they can't "pass", so don't even try. Others know they can blend in easier, so go that route. It's what you can live with, & neither is "right", it's ...can you look yourself in the mirror? If you can, then it's all good!

I hope that you get it, good luck to you on that. 🙂

Thank you!

Be sure and use this as a lesson in the future. Be purposefully vague.

JK666 Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

They probably want to avoid hiring someone who might condemn someone's (Christian) faith and upset them.
But if you answer that you avoid such topics, or try to stay neutral, then it should be OK.

Can't do much on this one, I don't know
I have missed a job because I am not a believer, ok it was teaching environmental studies at a Christian Camp, they said I was fine but would have to participate and lead prayer sessions, = yeah right!
If you need the job, in future maybe just insist you don't get into political or religious conversations.

Well, you can't really do anything about it now anyway... It is more neutral to say you don't ever discuss religion or politics.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22321
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.