Agnostic.com

9 2

Happy living a lie or sad reality?

Which is better: living a lie that makes you happy or knowing a the reality that makes you miserable?

Edit: you would not know the lie that makes you happy is a lie.

Ravenwing 5 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We feel happy or we do not, it is neither truth nor lie, it is a feeling.

cava Level 7 Nov 15, 2018

Depends on what the lie and the truth are, specifically. I believe in a kind of idealistic monism or solipsism.

Reality. Every time. It's my programming

Knowing the reality that makes you miserable allows you to change your circumstances (or attitude) to alleviate the misery. Then you have happiness, by taking matters into your own hands.

If you know it's a lie, how can you do that? Or do you mean living a lie , but you don't know it's a lie? Anyway, reality is always there, no matter what you try to do to elude it. I'm not sure if I can answer this question.

A miserable fact is always preferable than a happy lie. Because that's the only sustainable way to live.

Reality is always the best choice, even if it's sad. Living a lie can't last.

Sad reality. I don't think I have a choice though, Im too neurotic to have ever had a chance to experiment with blissful ignorance. Even when I was ignorant and completely sold on faith I wasnt blissful. Slightly reassured by illusion maybe but once you know that, then its a relief to be optimistic about real possibilities and taking personal responsibility. Those offer real advantages because theres a tangible version of karma at work. Knowing that cause and effect is the only intercessor on our behalf empowers us to take control of the future by consciously building it for ourselves.

If living a lie makes you happy go for it. I am just not good at doing that.

@Ravenwing Everything in life seems to have a tradeoff. In my early twenties I was in advertising. It was good money, and I was good at parts of it, but I never felt like it fit me. In my mid-twenties I became a full time musician. Some time the money was good, sometimes not so much, but it fit me. You have to choose the trade offs you are comfortable with. IMO

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:223334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.