Agnostic.com

10 1

How to deal with my Christian family. I usually lie or say nothing.

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I usually don't say anything, or I will call myself agnostic so they think there is "still a chance" for me. I have found that telling them I don't believe in a god somehow hurts their feelings and makes them think that I think they are stupid or something... which I don't want, so I say I am agnostic rather than atheist.

I came out as agnostic when I was 18. Eventually it resulted in my not speaking to anyone in my family unless it was necessary. As my parents aged, they mellowed quite a bit and we reconciled before they died. If it's your wife, I think you should have a talk sooner rather than later and be gentle but honest with her.

I regularly tell those I know would turn nasty about it that I'm a strong believer that religion is a very personal thing and I prefer to keep it to myself. Those who know me understand I'm spiritual but down to earth with it, but clearly not religious. You have to be very choosy who to confide in and who to keep at arm's length. Of course if you just don't care how people will respond it doesn't matter but I prefer staying out of the line of fire.

AmyLF Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

Generally, I just roll my eyes and take frequent bathroom breaks. I rarely see them and honestly don't value their opinion, so its not worth talking about.

A hour in Church is not going to harm me one bit. I view it as a gift for my Mom, it makes her very happy.

Do whatever you are comfortable with. You have to deal with them at the end of the day, so if it's better not to rock the boat then don't. But if you feel the need to stir the pot then by all means I support that!

Are you trying to figure out how to tell them you no longer believe? Or have you already done that and you're wondering how to deal with the topic of religion around your family? Coming out isn't easy and the majority of the time there will be a strong reaction. My mom cried and tried to emotionally manipulate me when I told her I no longer believed. When that didn't work I was accused of "sinning" and told to fake my faith until I actually believed. I ended up eloping and moving 300 miles away. I didn't talk to my parents for a whole year and then they finally contacted me, apologized, and said they would always love me regardless of my beliefs. Things have been ok between us since, but we typically avoid the topic of religion when we get together.

What is stopping you from being yourself?

I am lucky. My dad is 94 and mom is 85. They go to church every Sunday, I am sure they wish I did to but they never bring it up. I do hold hands with them when they pray over food

I love my wife and want to stay married but if I revealed my true feeling would eventually end my marriage. need some good advise.

There is no good advice. This is between you and your wife... you already expressed you love your wife and want to stay married.

My only advice would be to search your heart and mind. Decide if staying in your marriage is more important than sharing your beliefs. It sounds like you already decided that. My question is, has she said or done anything to make you think she'd not want to be married to you anymore if you were not on board with her religious ideals? You now her best. It's your life. Only you can make that decision.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22524
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.