Agnostic.com

7 5

"Winter Sparkle" song seems like NRA-propaganda

"With the horrific gun violence in America, your song about a boy and his BB gun was offensive. Very poor taste."

...I wrote on the "How Did You Like the Performance?" sheet last night, after the annual, "Winter Sparkle" song and dance show in Wenatchee.

A boy in a pink bunny suit- complete with bunny ears- came out and sang this song. ("Is the bunny costume to make him look sweet and innocent?" I wondered.) He grabbed a BB gun from under the Christmas tree.

"Bang! Bang!" he sang, pointing the gun and pretending to shoot the audience.

I felt horrified and appalled. Heart pounding, I wrote my reaction and signed it, nearly missing the next song. Handed my note to an usher after the performance.

A dear friend of mine, Nancy, directed the show. I asked the usher to give her my feedback.

The song sounded like NRA propaganda. Second-guessing myself, I wondered if it was a spoof, given his bunny costume.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never liked that movie. Won't watch it.

I don't attend too many community events. I don't recite the pledge of allegiance. I won't sing the anthem.
I won't engage in public prayer, as is common here in the South.
Nearly every community event has all those elements, and I just can't enjoy myself.
I'd just as soon stay home.

It reminds me of the man who recently gave a Nazi salute, shouting, "Heil Hitler! Heil Trump!" in a crowded performance of "Fiddler on the Roof."

Terrified he would pull out a gun, Jewish audience members rushed out of the theater.

[nbcnews.com]

I’m sorry, LiterateHiker, but you’re going to have to surrender your American Cultural Literacy Card until you can hike over to the TV and watch A Christmas Story.

skado Level 9 Nov 17, 2018

@skado

With America's horrifying, constant gun violence, this gun-promoting song is horrifying and insensitive. Badly out-of-date.

There is a reason why old songs about happy, dumb slaves and singers in blackface are culturally insensitive and badly out-of -date.

Cultural literacy? I have never paid for TV stations. Instead, I love reading. My first book was published in 2008.

To my amusement, two people gave me televisions, most recently in 2014. Now I enjoy watching movies on Netflix.

I love jazz and blues music. Can't stand whiny country music.

If not watching the Kardashians or listening to country music make me culturally illiterate, I don't care.

@LiterateHiker
I’m just teasing you know, but seriously, put it in your Netflix queue. It’s pure Americana, not trash. I don’t even know who the Kardashians are (though I hear the name everywhere).
I haven’t watched broadcast TV since it went digital. Jazz and Blues are my favorites, with emphasis on Jazz. And most mainstream Country is just commercial tackiness these days, but it shares some roots with the Blues.
What was your book about?

@skado

"Deciding to Live Sober in My Alcoholic World" by Kathleen Miller.

The NRA was initially founded to educate gun safety and responsible ownership. But has morphed into a lobbying organization for the gun manufacturers to keep restrictions on guns to a minimum so they can sell more guns.

I cannot disagree. Their putrification parallels Christianity.

Did you see the movie? The bunny suit PJ's what he got instead of a BB gun...it had nothing to do with making him look innocent, just disappointed to not get what he wanted...

Look at the time frame....it was a more innocent time when all boys wanted a BB gun to play cowboys...

The movie was made long before all of the bullshit of the times....I am sure your friend did not intend for it to be a statement about the NRA but rather an iconic take on a classic holiday movie...which, I have watched each year...the song is one of the few from the play that actually highlights the voice of this talented young actor...perhaps your friend was wanting to give the same coverage to one of your local boys.

I don't think most people familiar with the movie would have taken offense or felt as you did...a nerdy little boy working and wishing for that ONE gift, and in the end, when he got it, it fell short of his expectations...innocence betrayed.

@thinktwice

I never saw the movie, "A Christmas Song." As an atheist since age 13, I avoid Christmas movies.

I laugh watching "Love, Actually" - set during the holidays.

@LiterateHiker The movie was called "A Christmas Story"...wildly popular even with secular people because of some of the odd things like the fishnet covered leg lamp,,,it was a comedy with many other odd childhood memories as well...a dare to lick a metal post in freezing weather...the whole story was told from Ralphie's point of view...not a religious story but a 1950's story of more innocent times

@thinktwice

Thanks for the explanation.

@LiterateHiker You spoke out based on your current emotions, which are valid...but I am sure many will find that you over reacted because you lacked the cultural references upon which to temper your reaction...have you heard your friend's reaction about your comment? Give her a chance to state her decision as well.

@thinktwice

With America's horrifying, constant gun violence, this gun-promoting song is horrifying and insensitive. Badly out-of-date.

There is a reason why old songs about happy, dumb slaves and singers in blackface are culturally insensitive and badly out-of -date.

@LiterateHiker I agree...we can't hang on to the past if it affects the present and the future...our memories are not worth the lives of the living

@thinktwice, I introduced some of my family members to the movie last Christmas after seeing one of my neighbors had a “leg lamp” in their front window and laughing my ass off the rest of the way home, walking the dog. Nobody seemed to know what I was talking about, so I rented the movie for them. Still funny! By the way @Literatehiker, Ralphie regrets getting his rifle as he almost puts his eye out with it. Hardly something the NRA would promote. And there is nothing very religious about the movie, just a good comedy.

@Barnie2years I wanted that leg lamp so badly...but when I found out how much they wanted for it, I decided I could do better with my money. I will still watch the movie over the holidays...Ralphie learned a big lesson...in a funny way...so many funny lines in it as well...

What you did was appropriate.

@Mitch07102

Thank you for your understanding and support. With America's horrifying, constant gun violence, this gun-loving song is horrifying and insensitive. Badly out-of-date.

@LiterateHiker Taken out of context, I can see why you think it was a gun-loving song...it was more of a wishful thinking song...in the end, he nearly puts his eye out and the story moral is that owning a gun might not be the best idea...too bad they picked only that song...

That sounds like the little boy, Ralphie, from the movie,”A Christmas Story.”

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225336
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.