45 1

When did you first realize that religion made no sense?

When did you first realize that religion made no sense? For me it was one of the first times I ever went to church and I couldn't believe that everybody was listening to the person at podium.

By thyperson
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

45 comments

11-2-1986, 2:31pm

FreethinkerOne Level 4 Nov 19, 2018

I also remember the exact moment, but never noted it down.

I was around twelve years old and I had a moment where I thought to myself that the entire thing sounds like a fairytale. All the bible stories really didn’t help either. They all seemed more like the bedtime stories in books. Later in 8th grade, when I started in science class and we were learning about biology and evolution, it made so much more sense to me than the story in the book of Genesis. I asked my teacher, who I will not name, if there were any books I could read outside of class to learn more about evolution. He wouldn’t refer anything to me so I decided to research it. I found a copy of “The Blind Watchmaker” in my local library. By the time I was done reading it I wanted more. I can’t place a specific moment as THE moment but between the age of twelve and fifteen, I had stopped believing. I didn’t “come out” until I was twenty-two.

SpcTrkr91 Level 4 Nov 18, 2018

Wow, I guess I'm just slow! I spent 51 years believing in a god. Four years ago, having already lost my father and brother, my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and that just opened my eyes. I have experienced such a freedom from bondage and judgement and actually am more hopeful overall. So many people say religion set them free and broke the chains of things like drugs or alcohol. For me, atheism set me free and broke the chains of religion. Better late than never, I guess.

pmzm Level 4 Nov 20, 2018

I believe it was 2nd or 3rd grade, during catechism, the nun teaching the class was telling stories that just didn't make sense to me. When questioned, she flustered, got angry, and couldn't answer. I wanted to believe, but it wasn't making sense. By 4th and 5th grade, the nuns had labeled me as a "doubting Thomas" and my parents stopped making me go to catechism, so I was never "confirmed" in 5th grade, like my brothers and sisters. I felt that gave me license to be non-religious and think for myself. I was the only one of my 4 siblings who didn't get married "in the church" as an adult.

Over the years throughout my childhood, after being told I had a guardian angel watching over me, I couldn't understand why that angel, or God himself, wasn't protecting me from things going on in my home that were clearly wrong.

I came to realize that this guardian angel was really my conscience and that God was likely a metaphor for all authority. I disliked authority, as I could see it was often a selfish entity with an agenda which wasn't always fair. I learned to think for myself, trust my gut feelings more, and slowly unlearn the concept of blindly following authority.

Took a long time to be free of the prison of patriarchal authoritarian rule, because it was so deeply ingrained in society all around me, and I felt alone in my departure from religion, but access to library books questioning religion, shining a light on a more scientific view of the world helped with my transition in my twenties and thirties, and then when I could access the internet right from my home on a borrowed computer, I realized there were others questioning and discussing the transition online. I found my lifeline!

Julie808 Level 7 Nov 18, 2018

I am not sure exactly when. I do know that I found joy in watching stand up. It was a sort of youthful awakening to the idea that other people thought this religion stuff was a bit off.

If I may make a comparison stretch: the way deaf children are likely born to parents who can hear-I was an athiest before I knew there was a word for it. Comedians like Eddie Izzard and George Carlin were the first people to hold up a mirror that I could see publicly and show me that it was OK to think. And laugh. I will count that as my 'liberation/awakening athiest' moment.

Anonamoose Level 3 Nov 28, 2018

I was in Sunday school about 6 years old and the teacher was telling us a tale that included images of an old bearded white man with flowing hair and a long robe sitting on a cloud...

My childlike mind thought the adult equivalent of “are you freekin’ kidding me?”

SCJohn Level 1 Nov 28, 2018

When I started to be sexually abused on camps by trusted church members and clergy at 10. By the time it stopped at 16, I was an atheist.

Mewcat Level 1 Nov 21, 2018

Sorry that happened to your. That's disgusting.

When I was a teenager and began to apply critical thinking to reading the bible.

Sorgi Level 1 Nov 21, 2018

They started late with my indoctrination for the catholic church (at about 6 years old). They really tried, and they really put a lot of effort into making it a good experience.
One of the things they taught me was that God helps those in need, loves everybody, and sees everything because he is everywhere.
Well my childhood... let's say I was in need. So I was thinking that: If God helps those in need and I need help but he doesn't help me, he might not exist because if he also loves everybody and sees everything, he cannot miss the fact that I need help.
I was around 8 or 9 at the time.

NoDramaZone Level 3 Nov 19, 2018

As a small child. It took me until late 40's to totally dismiss and reject the concept of deity though.

powder Level 7 Nov 18, 2018

I can't remember exactly, I just always remember ridiculous stories that made no sense, I do remember spending half my time outside class for asking stupid questions. But this was not down to being an arse but just because I wanted answers to the doubts I would voice, and no teacher would have an answer, so I'd be outside. I suppose it must have been while outside I realised the reason they had no answers that made sense was because it was just all just made up bullshit.

DavidMiller1 Level 4 Nov 18, 2018

It came in layers. It started with 2 contradictions in the bible (and then grew by leaps and bounds). A perfect god couldn't have written and imperfect book. Without the book, no jesus. My religion? A good way can't be built on an evil book. After you take away everything MAN says that god says...god is very quiet.

Realist9 Level 5 Nov 18, 2018

It didnt' happen all fo a sudden. It was/is a gradual process.

snytiger6 Level 8 Nov 18, 2018

Quando comecei a ler.

felipegomes Level 2 Nov 28, 2018

What was it about reading that had that effect? Was it something that you were reading?

This is a good one for me I was in infant school so going back 34/5 years ago I was obsessed with dinosaurs and we had a vicar come in once a week to talk to us all about “god” after one particular lesson on creation I asked the vicar if Adam and Eve were the first people he created where did the dinosaurs fit in and I was told not to be silly they didn’t exist and quite quickly for a 7/8 year old I replied “but dinosaurs have had loads of books written about them and we’ve even found dined yet there’s only one book about god” I was told to be quite and sit down from that moment on I knew religion was a lie!!

StephenKeane Level 3 Nov 28, 2018

Told to be quiet and sit down, wow that's pretty nuts.

For me it wasn't anything sudden. I started drifting away in my middle-teens. By the time I turned 19 I just stopped being interested in religion, not that I still didn't believe in god. As part of the re-evaluation of my self after my divorce I found myself interested in religion again from the perspective of "maybe Catholicism was the wrong religion for me", which started me on a long search for the "right" religion. I tried this, I tried that but nothing felt right. Then I took a course, "The History of Religion" as one of my first college courses in my late 20's. Suddenly I saw the whole forest, not just the individual trees. That's when I had a true picture of the fallacy of religion. Of course, once I realized that any god was just another tool of the religion business, along with afterlife, hell, sin, magic, legends, and various forms thereof depending on the religion, the validity of any gods just went poof!

Yogisan Level 7 Nov 28, 2018

For me it was between the ages of 10 and 13 when I gradually decided that spirituality of any kind was stupid and a waste of time.

KriszDemetrovits Level 3 Nov 28, 2018

When reality began to come into conflict with faith

Williamcristiano Level 1 Nov 28, 2018

I started thinking it was ridiculous when I started questioning things. I would research an argument a theist said and found all the holes in the argument and in other arguments. Eventually everything that had me believe in a god fell apart and I slowly stopped believing.

chlorine413 Level 5 Nov 28, 2018

I have a hard time quantifying it since religion always "made sense" to me because in my sect of Judaism we said that God wasn't Gandalf on a cloud in the sky controlling everything but that power and divinity and idea of creation is a force that's inside all humanity. Which allowed me to consider myself both agnostic and a Jew. The first time I ever found myself seriously questioning religion and arguing was July 2014.

Brian_Blum Level 4 Nov 26, 2018

In second grade, I posed an heretical question after an assertion by Sister Mary Contusion that nobody but Catholics go to heaven. I asked if cavemen who were good could go because no Jesus yet. She said no. I mentally called bullshit.

No-Hevn_No-Hell Level 2 Nov 26, 2018

At twelve I was cloistered in a Catholic nutcase family. There was more than enough dysfunction there that I did not recognize at the time and mental health issues were and still are a thing. Not permitted to socialize outside the Church, I knew no better. At thirteen I was sent to the seminary as my neurotic mothers' sacrifice to the great mother church, which had been her intention for years. There was not much of anything to like there, but being in another environment, where I lived with clerics, put me in a position to begin finding my own truth. I observed the hierarchy at the Diocesan level, and found it to be an human institution with human failings. The theology I had learned by rote (anyone remember the Baltimore Catechism?), and I never had been one to take things at face value. It did not at any time ring true. By fourteen I sat in a church pew screaming inwardly to myself, wondering how religion could possibly be taken seriously. Studying life, social, and physical and sciences, and for that matter applied science at University clarified many issues. Until I was 52 I continued to look earnestly for reason(s) why belief is as ubiquitous as it is, as if I had somehow missed something, reading volumes on Philosophy, psychology, and Theology, studying Comparative Religion in college, and occasionally looking into other denominations. At that point I was pronounced dead while in hospital and experienced the void. It was not a near death, but a death experience. There being no afterlife, that sealed the deal, and since then I am entirely confident in my apostasy. It is with the utmost sense of relief that I live life. The neurosis came to the fore when the family finally figured out that I am atheist. There was hollering and screaming and wailing and gnashing of teeth, and phone calls to let me know that my mother was crying herself to sleep. I am really past caring.

uuberdude Level 6 Nov 25, 2018

Oh my a death experience without someone claiming that they spoke to God. That's pretty rare.

It's never made sense to me. My Grandma read Aesop's Fables and Ancient Greek Myths to us when we were kids. Relgion seemed just like those stories growing up. I never went to a church though, so I didn't have adults in my life pressuring me to believe in fairy tales. Now I watch debates between Christopher Hitchens and Matt Dillahunty and Richard Dawkins and I'm entertained! These religious people seem so absurd

celticagent Level 7 Nov 24, 2018

Coming of age and knowing I was going to be drafted for the Vietnam war; watching Walter Cronkite nightly news on the body counts. Kept asking questions, absolutely no logical or free thinking responses. I was drafted, did not go to Vietnam but kept questioning, “Why?”

Jessej4974 Level 2 Nov 22, 2018

For me it was the realisation that nobody had produced any falsifiable evidence to support their existence claims of their god/s in the last 5,000 years.

It angers me that these charlatans are still allowed to get away with peddling their lies, and it saddens me that there are still fools that believe them.

irascible Level 8 Nov 22, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!