Agnostic.com

57 6

When did you first realize that religion made no sense?

When did you first realize that religion made no sense? For me it was one of the first times I ever went to church and I couldn't believe that everybody was listening to the person at podium.

thyperson 5 Nov 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

57 comments (51 - 57)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a child I had a friend in Casper the Friendly Ghost. Many years later I realized that adults had this same friend but he was a cross between Casper and Santa Claus.

Early....I had a lot of questions and no one gave me answers that made sense.

But, definitely by age 12-13 when I started reading about other religions and researching them in the school library.

No one time, I was not raised in religion, and any interest I grew in youth just faded away. I was however one of those toddlers who like to ask logical questions, so I soon learned that the price of logic is being hit a lot. Fortunately I survived and managed to hold on to a little of the logic, though I don't think I am as good at it now as I was then.

I first began to doubt religion when I was involved in a fundamentalists group and I knew my grandmother could not go to hell. She was a great person.. When I read the necessity of atheism written in 1933, totally opened my eyes. I was a senior by that time.

When i was about 10.

I was maybe four. Coming from a non-religious family, I only started hearing about it when I began going to a pre-school at a church. They had a time for reading Bible stories, which at first seemed no different to me than any other fairytale I had heard. They even had similar elements, impossibilities, and lesson pretty much spelled out in them. At some point, though, I found out that people actually believed these specific stories had happened, and that was where religion completely lost me.
I still found it interesting, though, and often questioned my religious peers in school [at that point around 5th grade] about their beliefs.
It took me until high school, when I started spending more time on the internet, to learn such terms as agnostic or atheist, though. My favorite teacher was also an atheist, and through him I learned that people could get into trouble or even lose their jobs if their non-belief was to be discovered. I still value to a great degree the conversations we had, and I quite enjoyed being one of the few that knew that he was the real "godless heathen" in the room -he always called all of his students that as a joke. He was the first adult outside of my family that I knew to be a non-believer, and that gave me more confidence to speak about my own lack of belief.
Now I say that I am usually an agnostic atheist [I don't believe in a god, but can never be 100% sure of the lack of any deities], but I'm anti-theist as a hobby since I find it fun to argue against religion on the internet and occasionally in person.

It never made sense to me but i finally accepted the facrt that it made no sense 6 months ago

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:225638
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.