Agnostic.com

8 0

Government as a religion--I used to adore the FBI

When you were younger, did you adore the FBI, the CIA, the military, the presidency in general, or any other part of the government religion, and did you continue your devotion, or how did you fall out of worship or admiration?

treepolitik 4 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well if I may say, adore is a little rich, but yes I thought they were the good guys. Mind you when I was a little kid I thought the cowboys were the good guys and the injuns the bad guys and look how that turned out. Really I suppose the only way to be good is to be good ourselves and hopefully extend it to our extended family and hope others do likewise. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 15, 2018

So did Mr Hoover. He got away with murder. James

Leon Level 5 Feb 11, 2018

Having served in uniform, and worked as a civilian with, and for, several of these organizations, and as a member of MAAF (Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers), you might imagine how ridiculous, if not offensive, I find this question.

surely a fellow Thomas Paine fan wouldn't be beholden to personal feelings over critical thinking

It is your duty to be offended. But the main idea is that anything so sacred that it can't be criticized is the equivalent of a deity. So, you've proven my point. When you really want to question everything, there are no ridiculous questions, unless there is some ulterior motive as in a filibuster.

@treepolitik It is not my ‘duty’ to be offended, rather it is simply an extension of my experience or perhaps even my persona—call it, my identity or tribe, if you prefer. Were you to insult my wife or children by impugning their character in a comparable fashion, my reaction would be predictably similar. This has nothing to do with religion!

Now don’t get me wrong; I belong to the George Carlin line of reasoning—nothing is sacred or beyond reproach! But my point here is this: Just criticism and false equivalency are not synonymous. Whoever said, 'there is no such thing as a stupid question,' needed to have his/her head examined!

If it is an identity or tribe, then it is a culture. But I think it's a system-manufactured culture rather than a natural culture. We sometimes speak of worker culture or a military-industrial complex. We sometimes speak of traditional values, but this is based on capitalism as well. It's just that something built for war that clamps down on other cultures, doesn't seem like a well developed culture. To be fair, this means I'm also putting down Britain, France, and Rome, despite military power being central to them maintaining a stable culture for thousands of years. I also admit that if man is in a state of nature, military culture is necessary to allow development of non-military culture. I advocate for the world to leave the state of nature by creating an abundance of resources so there is no need to fight for them, and so there is no crime.

@treepolitik
I can agree with some of what you say, however I ask you to consider that all cultures are manufactured, and are therefore a choice. Just as an individual may choose to abandon their culture, so can society forge a new one.

There is no "government religion." I have NEVER adored any government agency. I do believe very much in our Constitution and in the concept of democracy. All of our institutions have sometimes veered off course. But, as a whole, they have served us well. It is OUR job to make sure they provide moral and effective government of, by, and for ALL of our people.

The way the elites are running it, it feels like a foreign takeover. It doesn't feel like the people have any power.

Nope. I was born in 1961. I grew up with disillusionment all around me.
I spent most of the summer I turned 12 (1973) watching the Watergate Hearings on tv.
Nixon resigned on my 13th birthday.
I have never adored the government nor any of it's agencies.

If you want to compare adoring a government body to religion, then I have to ask in the same respect...
Like religion, how much of that adoration taught or instilled?

no

NO. I can't imagine "adoring" the government and any of it's departments.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22576
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.