Agnostic.com

44 9

Do you have a tendency to over think things?

I tend to really pick things apart and dissect them. This has often been to my detriment, but it has it's upsides. It makes me good at planning and I've been called meticulous. On the other side of the coin, I've suffered from paralysis by analysis-- and I think it was a large factor in my anxiety disorder.

How are you about this?

silvereyes 8 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes. I fall prey to this often and I think many highly intelligent people suffer this same affliction. I have, in the past, had the tendency to over analyze to the point that it became a negative. Anything, if done to an extreme, is unhealthy, more likely than not.

It was basically the same for me as it was for you. I am still OCD to this day and that is connected to my inability to stop and relax my mind, keep it from racing as it does. Most of my friends are of high intelligence and we All speak of this dilemma. We overanalyze. We cannot help it.

I began to realize I was losing out on So Many Experiences in life because I could not stop analyzing and finding reasons and ways to sabatoge my own peace of mind and of happiness. If i wanted something, I would find a way to discourage myself as easily as i Could encourage myself, but usually the latter was even more difficult in the battle of me against me... my mind won't let go sometimes. It will push and push until I give In to its Stupid illogical logic... it feeds into my own fears and from there, my own fears tell my overanalytical mind exactly How to cockblock myself. In doing so, I lose. Period. Plain and simple.

Instead, once I recognize what I am doing, I stop and think, again... "Why am I doing this? Is it not so easy to simply make a decision and to stick by it? I can take Everything apart to peices and assume a million different things, a million different ways, when the truth is, in reality, the Actual experience of going Through most things we overanalyze is Vastly different than what we Thought it was going to be from the point of view on the other end. It is Much Wiser, Much Easier to just commit to it, to go into it, walk Through it... why Build up the fear? Why take it apart? Some times things just Are and there is No reason to dismantle them. We do it when we overanalyze. We do it when we Must push to keep spinning the rubix cube.

It comes To You in Time. It comes To you and you cannot simply Believe you can think your way around it, analyze it to save yourself time, headache, money, stress, pain, loss, gain... There are tiems you Just Do for the Sake of Doing and you Stop spinning it around and around. Trust me... the Process itself Will Be Different than what we Assume it is from the angle of Analysis.

It can be a crippling poison if you let it. It can prevent you from Joy, From Truths, From Experiences, From Knowledge... From Your Potential Self.

Tis better not to overthinkg.

Sadoi Level 7 Feb 12, 2018

I did exactly this prior to geting my diagnosis..I knew I had had it..but always looked for an escape reason it wasn't what I knew to be true..the day was cloudly and cold..I was brought back to an examination room, the resident walked in and told me my diagnosis..stage 3 throat cancer..it was devastating..but not unexpected mentally..emotionally..I still avoid That examination room..and cigarettes..so I soooo know what you mean..on many levels.

@Charlene i have had cancer too charlene. 😟

Oh yeah, been there, done that.

@NerdyOkieDude: Now you know what my New Year's resolution was! 🙂

i need to go think about it.

This is not unlike the affect of meth on many people. A hundred projects started, but due to the intensive over-thinking and making changes, nothing ever gets finished.

Sounds like ADHD. 😛

Ugh. Yes. I've 99 problems and 96 of them are completely made up scenarios invented by my brain!

I think I managed to arrive at the point of understanding that one needs to know when to say 'enough' in all things in my mid twenties. It is too easy to get caught up in that closed loop that keeps one from making decisions, finishing a project, or terminating a poorly chosen battle or relationship.

Here's an example: Every writer I have ever known has a hard time not doing 'just one more rewrite'. It is common for us to just keep on keepin' on with something that could have been published 6 months ago. One really needs to know when they're watering a dead tree. This is true in all endeavors. I can tell you that I have never sent out a manuscript that within a day or two after having done so I didn't kick myself for not doing one more rewrite. It never fails.

I have been called an ANALyst Nuff said. LOL!

My hobby and trade (rock climbing and construction) demand immediate action without thought in some situations. So part of my head will function that way, even in less pressing matters.
But gimme a good bong hit and a sunny field and I can contemplate one blade of grass for three weeks, blissfully.

Man after my own heart.

In certain contexts analysis is useful. However, over analyzing every little detail of some future appointment seems to me to an exercise in futility and only occupies the mental space available for it's contemplation.

I do it all the time - and act on hidden subtexts that aren't really there as a result.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 9, 2018

If I don't like something I tend to pick it apart, if I like it I'm more easy going.

Oh hell yes.

I'm overthinking this question right now.

Most definitely so for me and it is almost paralyzing sometimes not being able to come to a conclusion.

Yep and I'm extremely detailed. I need to know... every... single... little... thing. I'm sure I've driven some guys a little nuts with that. 😟

Tendency? My whole life is devoted to overthinking. And then I under think to compensate. Not good.

Yes. By the time I am awake and out of bed in the morning I am pretty well convinced that when I look out the window I will be seeing mushroom clouds on the horizon in every direction.

I really think things through, I am a half decent strategist so it is necessary.

Hmmmmm.....

Hmmmmm.....

Hmmmmm.....

Maybe. .

I wouldn't say "overthink" but maybe think a lot. I read a lot of periodicals and non-fiction. I am involved with numerous groups that are active in environmental/historical areas. This site has especially gotten me going. Don't look at my dining room table. It has become a desk with all kinds of scrap paper covered with notes.

Only when I'm trying to sleep????

ALLLLLL the time.

I'm very much the same: vacillate between options, second-guess decisions, slow to take action.

Yes to the point of not making decisions in a timely manner.

You mean besides trying to figure out how to answer this question? Not much. Only a decent part of everyday

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22586
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.