Agnostic.com

44 9

Do you have a tendency to over think things?

I tend to really pick things apart and dissect them. This has often been to my detriment, but it has it's upsides. It makes me good at planning and I've been called meticulous. On the other side of the coin, I've suffered from paralysis by analysis-- and I think it was a large factor in my anxiety disorder.

How are you about this?

silvereyes 8 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

People tell me I dwell on things too long. I tell them I like to thoroughly understand the situation. I like teaching myself from books or other sources like videotapes I have even taken some online classes these kind of things I could dwell on it doesn't bother anybody. I don't think it's a bad thing to be that way.

dc65 Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

I’m over analytical too, but it comes with the job.

My motto is to: Be Prepared. But not to the point of paralysis. I am a good planer/prep per, but I have to be able to prepare and survive my decision, and learn from my mistake. The moral is my mistake is usually insignificant. Although I am dealing with with some big issues now, and I fear a mistake could be way past insignificant😉 I guess we all have to have a first?

Sometimes; and I've been called on it here in this forum. That's why I'm here, personal growth (well, one reason).

Absolutely; and sadly it has only became worse the older I get and the insomnia it brings on is brutal!

Absolutely! I think I need to stop that, but then think about why I shouldn't. Vicious circle.

jeffy Level 7 Feb 10, 2018

always to the point of leaving my tv on when I sleep to keep my mind occupied.

I'm an agoraphobic, need I say more 😟

A good friend of mine calls me The Procrastinator.

Definitely.

Absolutely. It's one of my biggest faults. I'm the guy that when presented with a situation and needing to decide a course of action, I try to think about it from every possible perspective, consider all of the possible outcomes, try to predict how every possible action on my part might impact the situation, try to evaluate every possible outcome of every possible action to determine which one is the action most likely to lead to the most positive outcome, and obsess over what I might not be thinking about that I should be thinking about.

Often times, once I finally decide upon a course of action to take, it's too late. Either the situation no longer exists or has changed to the point where the action no longer makes sense. If I haven't completely blown the opportunity to take action, then the whole thing starts over again because the situation isn't the same as it was before.

After many years, I finally got to the point where I will cut myself off and just go for it, but it's not easy to force myself to stop analyzing.

I've had a few jobs where this has been a problem for me at times.
I would get some sort of project dropped in my lap and told to figure out a solution and do it quickly.

I'm fairly good at picturing things/designs in my head, but I pick them apart, adding or removing pieces that will or won't work before anything is physically done.
This almost always takes longer than expected, but when I start welding I don't need to stop and change things mid-job.
This way the assembly goes quickly and the results are good.

I often give more thinking to things that aren't really worth a great deal of thought, or that are not really important. Other times, I fail to give enough thought to things that I should. Sometimes I vacillate a lot, and I have a great deal of difficulty in making a decision. One thing I have to remind myself of, that there are times when there's not really any good choice.

I always say, like you, I often over think to my detriment. I'd prefer to over think than to under think even though it often comes with unnecessary anxiety. Paralysis by analysis is pretty spot on 🙂

I have huge dreams and seem to wing it on the regular. I need some of what you got!

I have this issue for sure!

I am fed up of this habit of mine!

Interesting question. Let me think about it, and I'll get back to you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22586
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.