Agnostic.com

9 4

Is the downfall of humanity men or the authority of men?

I have read so many articles today on the sexual and physical abuse of children, women, and people in unfortunate circumstances. In all of these instances, men were either the direct perpetrators or empowered the abusers. Is it inherently male humans or the fact that so many men are in charge of things? As a member of the male gender, I am sickened by the abuses I have heard about...ugh

ksmartines 6 Feb 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think its the handed down inequality thats the problem, not the authority of men but the inequality of women - I Actually think that men are far more threatened by having to hold up this masculine persona than women are - holding up the feminine persona - When I was a plasterer I sometimes worked on big schemes and the men would either play dirty tricks on me and /or completely isolate me it never entered their head to co-operate, (apart from the builders co-operative I was part of where we all respected each other equally) Its as if they have to keep proving over and over that they are better than - I am not talking about every man but it seems we as a society put a big weight on men to be 'real' MEN!- I have heard so many men calling each other a wuss or softie but why - as far as I can see ,cut us we all bleed, and some of us can cry too.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but we could get along just fine with only half of the male population. Just a thought, gentlemen.

it's too many humans

Always reminds me of those old rats experiments on population back in the 50's and 60's
Increase population and food, but not space
Eventually it all starts to come apart

You could look at it the other way too. Either way it's wrong, but to blame men is wrong too. Not all men, or people for that matter, are sadistic or just plain fucked up. I'm the US about 60% of all reported domestic violence is men against women. Most men don't report domestic abuse.

You are correct. Anyone in a position of power and dominance has the opportunity to abuse their position. Historically "men" had the overwhelming percentage of power. It only in the last few decades that the "shift" towards a balance has been acknowledged. It will take a few more generations before we see a true balance towards all humans.

"The human failing I would most like to correct is aggression."--S. Hawking

I would say that aggression should include "greed"

@ksmartines Greed is just the motive.

Yes, I would also like to add to what he stated and say it is mostly likely the sociopaths, psychopaths and narcissists that are causing/doing it.

It is an ugly and ongoing legacy. It is an improvement I think that it is finally out in the open and not a forbidden subject. Abuse of all sorts has been normative in the past, basically without recrimination at all. Behaviors were once just the behavior and not considered or called out as abuse. It is not our consciousness that is the tragedy it is that we have been so unconscious for so long. We see it now. Its horrible, Its everywhere. It is better that we see.

power corrupts; absolute power absolutely corrupts.

That is a very difficult question to answer. Perhaps we are just continuing to evolve out of the basic animal instincts to dominate and there being alfa-male mentality.

I think authority is a major poison. ANyone can be an abuser

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22598
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.