23 9

Do you peruse before you pounce?

This site appears to have people from all walks of life and all over the globe. Do you regularly check a profile for possible cultural/ language differences before making a judgment about their post/ comment?

By Amzungu2
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

23 comments

I read the post and if it interests me, or I have a point of view on the topic, I reply. I only rarely look at anyone's bio and already know the regular contributors’ backgrounds. You can easily spot the non-native English speakers, and I do adjust my response to them to accommodate their lack of complete understanding of English.

Marionville Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

I've become a bit of a profile junkie.

Yes, I would if I felt it was necessary to check first.

Shouldbefishing Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

I'm a bit of a profile junkie as well.

Sometimes I do but usually not. Kind of depends on how intrigued I am by the post.

Carin Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

Not really. As suggested in another reply, it might be the wise thing to do, and maybe that's why I don't do it that often. I do note when some people are just trolling and it's taken some adjustment to learn not to feed them, but generally a lot of people on the site have been cool and it's enough for me to simply enjoy the dialogs.

chalupacabre Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

I am trying to look for interesting discussions and ideas. I have a few friends that are deep thinkers, but even though I know the statistics it always surprises me how difficult it is to find people who go more than one level deep in looking at the world.

So, no, I rarely look at a profile first. But I did look at yours. Unfortunately I could not come up with a snarky comment about Decatur. However, if you were from Indiana, there is a great Mike Royco quote I often use. smile001.gif

BeerAndWine Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

I can come up with plenty of snarky comments about Decatur, but alas, there's no place like home.

I do now. Sometimes posts are serious and sometimes they are meant to be humorous and its good to get to know people a little more than the first impression off of a post or response.

Anonbene Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

I very much agree with you. It's an autopilot type of thing for me I guess, perhaps stemming from spending time with and learning about people from other cultures, and knowing how easily words can be misunderstood, even when spoken in the same language. I do it more so, admittedly, when I find myself in disagreement. I'm going to give due diligence and see if I may be misunderstanding something before taking a stand against it. I'm still in the newbie observer phase in this community, but I have noticed some that may benefit from a bit more due diligence in regards to understanding where someone may be coming from. But not the trolls. Be gone with them.

Edited

Yes and no. Im more inclined to look for a hint of radical thought I look beyond what the person says of themselves and look at the endless possible reasons that they wrote what they did. Wjat they look like or where they live isn't a defining characteristic. Rather what they don't say speaks more volumes than what they do.

darien75 Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

All the time. It's fun.

RavenCT Level 9 Nov 20, 2018

Yup

Donotbelieve Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

I never pounce, though.

I normally glance at their Bio before making comments.

RiverRick Level 6 Nov 20, 2018

I always check profiles to make sure it's not a troll and look for common interests.

Remowill Level 6 Nov 20, 2018

I last dated a woman from Texas I met on this site. I looked up a few pictures and read her bio, but honestly I would have met up with her without reading it. I'm probably too trusting of people, if I'm honest but I'll meet up with anyone if they seem fun.

McWalsoft Level 5 Nov 20, 2018

I comment for my own satisfaction, thank you very much.

Riviks Level 4 Nov 20, 2018

So that's a no? Just so we're clear.

yes, it's one of the many lessons I have learned, I used to dive in, now I get my toes wet slowly

CourreurDeBois Level 6 Nov 20, 2018

No, but it is a good idea. I tend to type in haste then find I have upset someone, sometimes that is because they have not read properly, but often it is just because I wrote in haste. (But then I have the attention span of a mayfly, so people maybe should make allowance for that. Joke.)

Fernapple Level 6 Nov 20, 2018

As for location I seem to be one of the if not the only active Scotsmen in a sea of people from mostly north America so for me the whole location thing is always gonna be a stumbling block as if a relationship were to develop I'm stuck in Scotland with no way out so it not going to be possible to meet up at drop of a hat.

darien75 Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

No,should I?

WayneDalton Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

I try to check their location ..though didn’t, just now.. My perusing stems more from the cursor accidently landing on an icon than intentionally. Maybe it’s weird.. but it feels invasive to read people’s profiles - that’s their business smile001.gif

Varn Level 8 Nov 20, 2018

Really depends on the topic and mostly I suspect a troll.

Lutherzme Level 7 Nov 20, 2018

Not really - I base my decision to comment or not based on the content and whether I have anything to add to the debate. Perhaps I should!

andykb3 Level 4 Nov 21, 2018

I like the idea of hoping for the best in people, especially on sites or in groups of like-minded people. There will always be haters, and I choose to ignore their mean spirited interjections, but when it comes to responding to the posts of others, I aim to be helpful by sharing my experiences or my perspective rather than offering criticism for it’s own sake.

That said, sarcasm and snark can be useful tools when not wielded with malicious intent.

PJWanders Level 4 Nov 21, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!