Agnostic.com

29 1

Can an atheist be happy for the future

I have been an atheist for nearly 15 years and thought to myself are non believers more open to depression knowing there is no afterlife religious people don't seem to as much

Boltonguard160 4 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can't answer that question but if left to religion, the future will be stagnant and pointless other than worshiping some invisible and imaginary god.

Honestly, I unburdened myself from a majority of my stress, anxiety, and situational depression when I left religion. No longer was a worried about what might happen to me AFTER I die. I started actually living in reality, and experiencing life, without the fear that I "might" upset my absentee landlord.
I still suffer from depression, but thats biology, not situational.

Yes! I tried every day for 5 years to do everything I knew for my depression. Working out, daily prayer, every self help book out and gotn almost nowhere until i became an atheist. Once i truly knew that my problem was physical, not a spiritual deficiency, I was almost instantly cured. The more I learn about how life actually works the better I get. I heard something great the other day, "it's not my fault, it's my responsibility." This approach has to en me the strength and motivation to do what I needed. Not to mention the guilt I no longer had to carry.

well, thats why there is religion partly and partly to dominate and rule the masses. trust me I have thought a few times in my life about the subject of dying and been scared shitless. there are two things however you must think of. one is you can't do fuck all about it so why worry and two is you really won't care after woulds because it will feel like it did before you existed or while you were under a general anaesthetic. like being asleep without dreaming.

You will be dead but you will not know you are dead, forever.

No, I suffered from depression due to a chemical imbalance in my brain. Stroke took care of that. I don't see what one has to do with the other. I am very hopeful for the future. Because I believe in the goodness of humanity.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.