Agnostic.com

4 2

Just had a moment of clarity here.

I am having coffee and reading my e mails, halfheartdly listening to a newsfeed when I realize the feed is a test conducted on adolescents about Ethics, Peer pressure, and cheating.
Hardly a fine double blind, but interesting coffee fodder.

Ethics has often been a sticking point for me in my life. A place where I will see an ethical concern where others won't. I find among a contemplative, deep thinking group like this that is not too uncommon, whereas in the population in general it is a plague. A lack of Ethics seems to be everywhere.

Back in the early 80's when I took my first sociology class, on the very first day, the professor conducted a class experiment to show the class our own cognitive bias. The test was a mock crime, to which the class was witness, and which they all wrote down their descriptions of the perp and the events.

I never really got to participate in it, as I had a little too much street in me for the mock up. In my experience, as it went down, I was in the front row, one seat in from the left, unpacking my things. A guy came in went past me to the front of the class, snatched the Professors bag, and dashed for the door. The class froze in place, but not me. I was on that guys ass, in my mind he would never make the front doors, and I meant him bodily harm.

As we burst into the hall way, he went running and I ran smack dab into a linebacker and the dean. A serious wtf moment for me. I was taken aside by the dean of students and told I was the odd man out, that once in every ten classes or so, someone would react like me and pursue the threat, and that it was a test. I had coffee with the dean of students, the wall of a linebacker in the hall, and the "thief", a young quick footed sociology student of italian descent.

I learned two things that day, that the class all mislabled that "thief", as black, as hispanic, as poor and so forth, and not one witness was right. Some even labled me. Few were close, as that was not what they were paying attention to, and it was a sudden unexpected event.
The other thing I learned was that I was the Odd man out, a one in a hundred or thousand who runs to the gunfire, who reacts first to the threat, then concerns himself with possible consequences.

I have always seen not reacting as poor ethics, for if the room reacted, the thief gets nowhere, and ethics and the way people deal with them has always been interesting to me, a puzzle as to why it is so difficult for others.

All that to show why I decided to listen to the news feed. Now in the show the kids crumble to peer pressure, by one staged actor who is sent in to lie to improve scores. Some resist, but in most cases they cave to peer pressure and go with the flow, with deceit for personal gain.

When the researcher comments they say "What helps these kids to succeed and not cave is a mental image. If they think "What would Mom think of this? What would Dad say if he were watching? What would Coach say? Or whomever they respect, they are far more likely to succeed."

AND WALA, a moment of Clarity. For most of the society the NEED to fit in, to belong outweighs Ethics hands down. So much so, they NEED a mental figure in their mind, who is always watching, in order to remain Ethical. Without one they are likely to cave to peer pressure and not behave ethically.

Sound like anyone you have heard of?

NOW I do not fit into that "need to fit in" demographic. In fact I kind of Eschew that, and have since I was a boy. As a child I was pushed out of the greater society until I just did not care what it thought. I do not see it as a unified whole, but a collection of microsocities anyway. I have never felt a part of it and so I have no real herd instinct.

I am a wolf, not a sheep.
But it seems that for many Sheep, not having that Notion of a Shepard might actually put Ethics itself out of reach because herd instinct overwhelms it.

So perhaps I can only see the issues in religion that I do see because I am a wolf, but to the Sheep it is simply not visible due to peer pressure and the need to belong, which outweighs the pesky ethical concerns and forces them into a constant cognitive Dissonance.

Thoughts?

Davesnothere 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

semantics : ethics promote the propagation of the species. so long as we are able to increase our numbers all is cool. the rest is suppression of someone or other

For far too many Americans, the only time they seem to think about ethics is when they are negatively judging others. It seems that is has become far too easy, comfortable, convenient to cut moral corners and shrug it off as no big deal. That needs to change. But, so long as Fox News and the other ight wing propaganda machines -- and politicians like Trump and his supporters -- are around, they are teaching that it is okay to lie, cheat, and take advantage of others.

They did that same experiment in an Asbury College freshman class, except that I'd grown up in Haiti, where we sometimes dove under furniture when we heard machine gun fire in the valley below to escape stray bullets.

So, as soon as some guy rushed into the room and knocked down the teacher, then pulled out a gun, I'd already dropped to the floor and out the door. I heard gunshots as I left, but nobody was running or screaming. Then I realized that the gunshots sounded hollow, so were blanks.

After a ten minute wait, I returned to the class to find everyone writing up their version of the "crime" and later people kept teasing me for leaving. "You were SCARED..I SAW you leave! Ha, ha!"

But all I did is wonder how everyone could just sit there passively. But with all the mass shootings later on, most people have started planning ahead how to react in a crisis.

I too find it odd how few react with any speed in cruisis, unless they have been through a few.
They see it as surreal, and it has that appearance, but when you have been through some understand it is all too real and that is why it seems surreal.

You seem to be stressing a predator/prey dichotomy. Do your ethics provide for a third role; of protector, perhaps. Just because you didn't mention it doesn't mean it hasn't crossed your mind. If so, I wonder why it didn't make it to the page. I can almost see the Shepherd as an aspect of predator seeing as he keeps the sheep for a very specific and exploitative reason.

Actually no, what I am seeing is two entirely different approaches to problem solving at the root.
One, like myself, is data oriented. Improvise, adapt and overcome.
The other, and it seems to me by that simple tv research (which means I would really like to see a larger properly funded study on it) is a form of SOCIAL thinking to problem solving.

So that when I am confromnted by some sort of ethcal dilema, I use critical thinking and Empathy to solve the issue

BUT when most people confron such issues they do not, instead they ask themselves "What would Mom, Dad, Coach, or Jesus do in this situation?" and indtead pf actually reasoning out the problem they extrapolate based on their personal understanding of another person and how they have handled things, or how they think or believe they would handle things.
A form of social cognition.

This allows them to come to positions they FEEL are proper without ever contemplating the puzzle in detail.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22735
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.