Agnostic.com

6 0

Do you like music in languages you don't understand?

GuitarDoctor 7 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Absolutely! Well over half the music in my collection is in languages besides English, which is the only language in which I know more than a few stray words. I got hooked on music from across the globe by Wisconsin Public Radio's show Higher Ground, Georges Collinet's Afropop Worldwide, and lots of used Putomayo CDs in record shops. A good song is a pleasure no matter the language. Saw one of my longtime favorites a month ago in Cambridge, Youssou N'Dour. Tinariwen, Cheikh Lo, Papa Wemba, Ismael Isaac, Mokoomba, Baaba Maal, TootArd, and Tal National are some of the performers I find irresistable in any language. Give them a try!

I learned Haitian creole from listening to Haitian songs.

Sure! The music itself has to hook me first, and then curiosity about any lyrics or libretto follows. I enjoy music from many places and cultures.

Oh, I agree 🙂 I like French music, especially Quebecois!

Actually, it's kind of fun. I have a bunch of songs in German, Spanish, Hindi, and Arabic. I good song is a good song, and sometimes the other language lets me focus more on the song than anything else.

I listen to several Hispanic singers even though I usually have to translate the lyrics. I really like Robi Draco Rosa but also like Reuben Blades and Juan Luis Guerra.

I used to have some old recordings of Cajun dance bands that I enjoyed. Even though my French is beginner's level. I also enjoyed Irish and Scottish folk ballads sung in Gaelic; even though my Gaelic is practically nonexistent.

I love some Gaelic songs...Clannad for example

Those Cajuns know their way around an accordion!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:227355
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.