Agnostic.com

16 6

I just rewatched Logan's Run for the first time in over a decade. It still holds up. I've always loved this movie because of its anti-religious message. The first time I saw it I was about 12, it really helped me reaffirm my decision to leave religion behind.

What are some movies that you enjoy because of their social commentary?

jayneonacobb 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A remake would certainly help, updating the effects and aesthetics for a modern audience. They should leave the jewel embedded in the person's hand, and the licentious attitude about sex. The religious justification of Carousel absolutely needs underlining -- and maybe for good measure, add in a touch of "Soylent Green" into the awful truth about Carousel that Logan discovers.

Michael York totes needs to play the Peter Ustinov role in the remake.

Yeah Charlton Heston screaming "Soylent Green is People".

T2: Judgement Day. I know many people are probably laughing... but I love the one scene where John Connor and the Terminator are working on their vehicle while in the distance two young kids are playing with toy guns and arguing. John and the Terminator notice and pause for a moment, then John says to the Terminator, "We're not going to make it are we? Humans, I mean." And the Terminator replies, "It's in your nature to destroy yourselves."

I can see it in my head. It's bone chilling.

I think I first saw this when I was 12 years old at the local movie theater when I was living in Cincinnati, Ohio. I enjoyed this movie very much. I know that the special effects are not on-par with the movies that are made today, but I enjoyed the story and how they dismissed religion as a bunch of hooey.

This is from Rotten Tomatoes, for those that don't know much about the film first released in 1976.

One of the last pre-Star Wars science-fiction extravaganzas (based on a novel by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson) takes the famed '60s maxim about not trusting anyone over thirty one step further. Set in the 23rd century, Logan's Run wakes place in a world of peace and immediate pleasure, where nobody grows old. After the age of 30, people go in for "renewal" -- meaning they are killed (although the government hides this from the population). But in this utopian paradise, some people still want to live past thirty. Known as "runners," these people are unhappy being "renew" and try to flee to a place called "Sanctuary." Secret police, called "sandmen," are employed to hunt down runners for renewal. One particular sandman, Logan Five (Michael York), is assigned to discover the truth behind Sanctuary. To do this, his life-clock is accelerated and he poses as a runner. When he suspects that renewal is more about death than life, he joins up with Jessica 6 (Jenny Agutter), a member of the underground movement, and the two flee the city hoping to find Sanctuary.

Man this is THE Atheist Movie isn't it?

It's been at least 20 years since I've seen it. I remember loving it but it differed from the book.

L liked Logan's Run, l rewatch it occasionaly. It was well made for the time, and had some interesting effects they had to invent. l hear they're going to remake it, l'm not sure that's a good idea, the remakes are rarely as good as the originals. Peter Ustinov was wonderful in his part.

Haven't thought of Logan's Run in years -- I'll have to watch it again! Planet of the Apes (the original version, not the remake) always struck me with its anti-religion message. Although not a movie, I think Star Trek original series episode "Return of the Archons" has a not so subtle anti-religion bent.

Ohub Level 7 Feb 12, 2018

I've always been a fan of Trouble with tribles.

@jayneonacobb I loved that so much that my Mom handmade a toy Tribble for me.

I wish I had a photo of it? lol

The Truman Show is to me a perfect encapsulation of my deconversion, except the "cast members" in my life are not acting.

Southland Tales!

I’ll have to watch that movie. I can’t recall whether I’ve ever watched it or not.

What Dreams may Come

Yep. Logan's Run still holds up. I hope they don't screw up the remake.

Idiocracy not only still holds up, but has come to fruition much sooner than even the most pessimistic outlooks could have predicted.

The Matrix trilogy.

Yeah. I did too. Watched it when I was much younger, then saw it on TCM the other night. I would like to see Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, again, as well.

I haven't seen it in years. I agree it would be nice if they did a remake. Think of the graphics they could make to update it. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Feb 10, 2018

They are doing a remake.

They don't plan on going extremely tech..

Also will be returning to the age in the books which was 21 years old.

And that's all I know from the interweb.

I will have to watch it. I have never seen it

I'm with you there. Wouldn't mind seeing a remake with the right director. Speaking of which, Paul Verhoeven does nice social commentary if steeped in sarcasm. I'm particularly fond of Robocop.

I watched Rebel without a Cause many times. We were all convince that that was a true representation of American culture.
Also watched Easy Rider many time, in English, in Munich. Cried each time. Could not believe what those rednecks were doing to the bikers.
I had so many hopes for America!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22744
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.