Agnostic.com

23 11

Comforting dying religious family members?

I mostly avoid talking about religion with my catholic family members, but my grandfather is currently fighting cancer and it is not going well for him... I have been told to pray for him and I want to comfort him but I don't want to comfort him with (what I think are) lies about heaven and seeing loved ones after passing. I'm curious as to how other atheists/agnostics have dealt with circumstances like this?

B99Nerd 4 Oct 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love you. We all love you. Reminisce about his life and stories and events that mean something to the family. If he mentions heaven rub his arm and kiss his cheek. Assure him that everyone is there for him.

I agree to max!

Hold hands and reminisce

mzee Level 7 Oct 26, 2017

As simple as that. No pretensions.

now is not the time to try and take away that warm and fuzzy blanket of belief leave him something to hold on to if it comforts them let it

bill Level 3 Oct 27, 2017

I agree. While I don't personally believe, I can respect the beliefs of the person who is dying and would never try to take away whatever may give him/her a measure of comfort.

I have found that you don't need to talk about God, the afterlife, or any other religious mumbo jumbo in order to be comforting. Reflecting on who the person has been and good times you all shared can be just as good. Often when others are praying or saying things like 'he's in a better place now' I just nod and agree. It's just the wrong time and place to bring up what is actually the truth.

Very true, thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate it.

Yes, no talk of God, the afterlife or religion.

In good conscience I'd lie through my teeth and tell him and them what they want to hear. Regardless of your beliefs I think it would be cruel to challenge his beliefs on his freaking deathbed.

SamL Level 7 Oct 27, 2017

I really appreciate your question and your candor. My initial thoughts would be to spend quality time, break out the photo albums, share memories, and just wrap your arms around him as many times as possible while he is still here...

Thank you, what you said was really sweet and I appreciate it.

Delaney18 You are welcome <3. I sincerely wish you all the best w/ this. 🙂

I second the motion!

With love and compassion, you don't need to be religious to let people know you care. Sit and talk with them, spend time with them listening and you don't need to talk about his dying or what happens afterwards to give him comfort.

Amen.

agree. I think talking with them about the good things they have accomplished, relationships had and other good memories is something anyone can do no matter what their beliefs.

I feel like this is a situation in which remaining true to oneself is irrelevant. Being there for loved ones in the ways they need is far more important than ideology.

I definitely agree with Hugene here. I'd recommend exploring with your grandfather those special memories you have had with him and also those who were close to both of you. When my mother was dying, I talked to her about the finches who were visiting the feeders I'd hung by my kitchen window and how they reminded me of the finches who visited our kitchen window when I was a teenager. Mom had put up one of those suction cup feeders that stuck to the window and the finches came all the time. It's simple but meaningful. That was Mother's Day and the last day I saw her alive.

Thank you for sharing your own experience. You actually made me think back on times with my grandfather that I will miss and also brought a smile to my face.

You got it bro!

With dying family members I made an exception and made all the proper grunts and facial contortions to please them in their final hours but with friends and colleagues who were religious I stayed away, sent cards and offered to help with receptions to the nearest and dearest to avoid empty gestures and awkward silences. My favorite excuse for avoiding religious funerals is to be too busy at the last moment with the last minute food preparations for the reception to attend. I'd rather spend 100 hours catering a reception than spend 10 minutes in a church listening to gibberish.

Just play pretend religious for them until they pass, no need to salt the wound, that's what I do.

Being understanding of someone else's beliefs is a reasonable thing to be. Since nobody really knows, acknowledging that another's beliefs are valid and treating them so in a crisis is the unselfish thing to do.

My grandmother and mother both died of cancer. When family members or they would tell me to pray for them, I would either smile politely or just lie to them. They were also catholics. But in a bad way because my mother wanted to convert me back as does the rest of my family. I am sorry you are going through this. Good luck to you on your journey through pre-grief and then grief.

I would read to him one of the nicer stories in the Bible. It's an interesting book that can be read as literature. I especially like the book of Esther.

Wren Level 2 Oct 28, 2017

Maybe Ruth?

I do not think I could offer much comfort other than listening if I tell people I am an Atheist they start passing out the guilt card and express their concerns for my soul. Many people find religion when they die, I am not going to pretend that I am religious when I die.

miata Level 2 Oct 27, 2017

How is your grandfather? I hope well. I've come across this a few times. You may want to respond by saying "he is in my thoughts." "You are in my thoughts." "I'll be thinking about you."

Prhjr Level 5 Nov 14, 2018

It's hard when someone asks you to pray for them or a dying loved one. I just give a comforting smile and say something like, "They/You are always in my thoughts, and if there is any else I can do for you please let me know. " I never say that I will not pray for someone, but I never say that I will as well. My role is to offer comfort and support the best way that I can.

My Mom is dying of cancer.

Her one wish is that I graduated with my BS. I failed a class my last term, so never got it. It’s been fifteen years. I’m going to buy a fake degree paper. Pretend I went to the JC again for one fucking math class. Why? So she can die happy. (I’ll probably burn it after. This particular lie bothers me.)

I will also tell her that my dad and other loved ones will be seeing her in her heaven. I will tell her her god is by her side, and he loves her. Why? So she can die happy.

Sometimes 'white lies' are important.

Just an aside: it makes me so happy to be among people whose aim in this situation is to treat a person with grace, compassion and comfort, as opposed to the ridiculous sense of urgency some religious put forth to 'save' or forgive someone 'before it's too late'.

I agree with all that's been offered up here, particularly from jodyfine and daddy4pugs. More than prayers (which aren't comforting him at all) the best thing for you to do is maintain touch by holding his hands, or just rest your hand on his arm, leg, wherever, and talk to him in a soft voice without expecting him to answer (just a murmured 'It's okay, I'm here with you' works). Touch and hearing are the last senses to diminish so he'll probably like it. And if a group of family start encircling the bed with prayer stuff, maybe gently suggest that it's too disruptive for your grandfather for them to be doing it, so they should pray quietly to themselves or move it to an outer room.

that's a great question... might be a good consideration for humanist chaplains, and I think that death midwives, while they are often believers of supernatural stuff, might have some solutions for this matter. Death midwives literally train for these kinds of things. Another thing for the Nones to consider is participation in Death Cafes, where we begin to talk about death more openly.

If I am around people who I care about, and they are praying. I just respect that by being silent and maybe holding hands, bowing head. Out of respect for the individual not the practice.

You don't have to 'pray' to have good thoughts about your grandfather and hopes for his future. That is my take. I don't pray, but I respect others rights to do what they wish. When they call for prayer, there is no harm to me in bowing my head and listening to good music (in my head), thinking about a calculus problem that I am struggling with, or some such... and, I'd be quite surprised if a significant number of people who were 'praying' weren't doing the same as I: idly thinking of something that is on their mind.

What is important is that you do what is comfortable to you. 🙂

You just have to be true to yourself. If you dearly love your grandfather, you just tell him so, even when no one's looking or listening.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:2282
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.