Agnostic.com

11 3

What has been your experience with humanist/agnostic/athiest groups that meet in person?

I miss the community and 'pause to think about being a better person' aspects of church, even if I don't miss the god part. Do church-like humanist groups exist?

RationalThinker 4 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Try a swinging club. Early churches were bordellos before becoming pedophile clubs.

zesty Level 7 May 11, 2019

If you like a bit more structure, try a Unitarian Universalist congregation. Mine is 50% humanist with the rest a mix of atheist, agnostic, Jewish and Christian.

UUNJ Level 8 Mar 30, 2019

I've attended Sunday Assembly. They host events for exchanging ideas, meditation, etc. However, I suspect the bonding is even close to what they have say at a church. After all, most of us by nature are skeptical 🙂

Ashu Level 2 Jan 22, 2019

The group was nice and educational. However, most them were not close to my age. I wish I could find a group that is closer to my age.

They're fun, and varied. A great deal of different opinions, and interesting people.

I would never do a church like meetup, that sounds horrifying. There are meetups for non believers and skeptics in my area. We go to breakfast, or lunch, some members host potlucks in their homes. The people are interesting, and the conversations are engaging. I'm enjoying them and meeting new people.

We have an informal group that meets in our livingroom. It's more like a 19th century salon I suppose, a gathering to talk about whatever new ideas are on people's minds.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 8, 2018

There definitely are! Check out meetups for your area. Check out SundayAssembly.com, or another I've recently heard of is Oasis Network at peoplearemoreimportant.org. Good luck!

Thanks, I'll check those out!

They have not the courage to speak out loudly and without upset in a way that people will listen to.

There are folks who just want come for the drinks. There are a few who only want to argue or attack anything vaguely religious. There'll be one young woman acting a fool. There will be one young man acting sad/paranoid/nervous. It will be loud. Too many will be smoking.
They tip well.

My local atheist meetup is heavy on old white guys who want to argue about stuff. But also includes some 30-something folks who have become very good friends. Often, a casual meet up is planned with a book or question or topic to get the conversation rolling.

A couple of my friends went to a non-religious “church” service, held in an actual church. They found it weird. They sang pop songs and there was some kind of “sermon” but I don’t remember what about.

That non-religious church sounds like it would be good for a laugh!

Please rise and turn to page 134 of your Humanist Book of Song as we sing together "All You Need is Love". lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:228390
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.