Agnostic.com

14 3

Do you like hosting parties?

I try to throw monthly parties with my friends, with game night built in to make it easy on us introverts. What do you do to be social and keep meaningful friendships?

ScientistV 7 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've got 20 acres in the sticks and keep about 2 acres mowed so I have bonfires weather permitting. And plenty of space for those with kids and even have a dirt oval track for go karts.

Warn them in advance that I have the flu. They appreciate that.

We have a kind of open house every weekend, at least every 2nd weekend is considered a "gathering" Friday night is usually board games and annoyingly too much drinking, Saturday night is no drinking and computer games. The nights culminate with a bonfire on the beach, the bbq runs most of the time when they get hungry. I should point out that I do not enjoy this at all which is why the bonfires are now at the beach whereas previously they were in my backyard. Bloody kids.

I sit here and people always come interrupt the solitude. I understand they want to be around my stepson and me, but it gets old. I have very little exposure to others in my work, so that’s cool. I’m fine with that, and y’all give me enough interaction otherwise.

Nothing

My two best friends live on the same property as me, (my brother and I both own the property and the four houses on it), so I see them whenever I want and we get together all the time.

I have dinner every other week with my kids at one of our homes. So every two months my house gets extra cleaning. I have a friend from former job I meet up with every couple of months. I have a Humanist group I meet with. And I have an office I go to. I am an introvert and given my druthers there are times I'd be a hermit.

Hermits are cool.

I try to have themed parties... OK, OK, I like excuses to have a party. Lately, Winter Solstice. New Year's, Ground Hog Day, Valentines Day.

@birdingnut post has just reminded me of an occasion 30 years ago when I persuaded a woman who was making a birthday cake for her husband's 40th birthday not to make the cake in the shape of two large breasts - she had delightful handful sized breasts. Instead we made together a large dark brown chocolate penis and testicles cake complete with cream coloured centre. She even found and arranged alongside a "sperm" shaped candle for igniting.
The party was held in a country golf club. I was told that the women attending nearly rioted wanting to know from the now delighted wife "who had modelled for the cake?" - they had probably all seen the size of the philandering husband whose party it was and so knew it wasn't him.
Lol.

GROSS. I disagree with the premise that all women love large male organs, as they can damage the cervix and cause many problems. Plus most women I know think men's genitals are ugly, unlike most cis men, who seem obsessed with their male organs.

@birdingnut And that explains why I suggested that the concept be changed from oversized breasts fully knowing that the "birthday" boy and his loosely moralled mates would have been, contrary to your observation less than impressed by the cake - heterosexual men's primary visual obsession I suggest is with women's oversized breasts.

Just where do you conjure up "the premise that women love large penises"? I certainly didn't say that. What the women wanted to know was if the cake was inspired by imagination or modeled on an elephant. The answer was neither.

The size of the penis shaped cake was determined by the number of people attending the function.

I also suspect that your remark is not only coloured by your own proclivities but by a lack of knowledge of Australian society. Until 1964 DHLawrence's novel Lady Chatterley's Lover was censored in Australia. That was one year before President Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Act and 2 years before Australian First Nations People were recognised as human beings and citizens of the country!

Censorship in Australia - The Case of Lady Chatterley's Lover | Publish your master's thesis, bachelor's thesis, essay or term paper [grin.com]

The time of the birthday party was only 20 years after that date and all the participants would have grown up being inculcated by the Australian racism, attitude and religious influence that had resulted in the work being banned for 40 years and lack of recognition of the original Australians. So yes I knew that there was a probability that not only would the wife be held in greater esteem but that the women would behave in the way they did.

I put it to you that cis men generally are not obsessed with the looks of their penises but on the amount of pleasure they can obtain from it through a woman's administrations. When they are unable to find satisfactory partners they hand masturbate or use other methods to satisfy their pleasure including making puerile jokes and sexist disparaging comments and assumptions.

In a previous life, when I was still with my husband, we had some parties. We hired a bartender and had a maid, prizes, and food. It gets really expensive really quickly. It was a good time, but that money could have gotten me that much closer to retirement.

Lol yeah, I’m pretty cheap, myself hahaha

Lol.When I moved 3 years ago I gave invitations to about 50 neighbours and members of a local social/learning institution that I attend. I offered not a housewarming party but a series of dinners for 6-8 people in order to get to know people. I received 2 RSVP's but neither indicated what date they preferred. So it never happened. I compare this to my 50th birthday when I invited 50 people to celebrate with 5 courses served alfresco in the middle of winter. This was when I was living off grid in another state. Cooking was on my two ring bottled gas stove and a one ring gas tank burner. 45 invitees and 2 interlopers turned up for the 5 hour event. No one got food poisoning, all said they enjoyed the food many having second helpings and a fire was built in an empty 50 gallon drum to warm the area up.
It was one of the few, if not the only, party when I didn't stress out.

I love game night parties rarely throw them anymore. I'm mostly an introvert these days.

Dove Level 3 Feb 10, 2018

Wow. Seriously?
You should consider offering your party planning services to the non-hosters. You could probably charge what you wish.

Shoot, some people make businesses of taking down and putting up holiday decorations for people.

I socialize by walking out the door of my apartment. I am surrounded by kind, polite Thai people, and am friends with vendors, building staff, neighbors, etc and we fall into step together even when I'm out walking, to catch up.
When working, I laugh and talk with Thai teachers and joke around with the Thai students.

But to socialize in English, I have to go online!

Meetups.com, mostly hiking and kayaking. I just recently rediscovered contra dancing. These things get me out of the house and interacting face to face with real live people.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22926
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.