Agnostic.com

13 3

CW - Content warnings. Why is this suddenly such a THING?
I am still on FB and I belong to several groups; reptiles, retail, tattoos,atheist, etc..I have dropped out of a couple of groups due to the astounding number of posts that use CWs. They 'hide' images in the replies to avoid triggering peoples mishagas. CWs for scars, trypophobia, insects, boobs! I am curious about the necessity of these. If the outside world is a 'trigger' danger to someone aren't they alone responsible to protect themselves? Seems to be used by only young people. Please enlighten me.

AmiSue 8 Feb 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry, AmiSue. I am still too foreign, too rural and too old to understand what you are saying. CW means Country/Western music too me. I guess you are not talking about that. But I do want to know since I am on FB and I do have tattoos. Could you please send one or two easy sentences to me explaining what you are talking about. Thanks.

Some of the content advisory warnings on IMDB are hilarious. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain, for example: ""People casually and socially drink alcohol. People buy and smoke cigarettes."

Well duh - it's set in France, FFS.

Jnei Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

It's to prevent the pages getting reported and shut down for petty things

I get it but disagree somewhat. Probably people weren't meant to see all anyone wants to put on the internet. It's a bit of overload for anyone, but for some it could be worse. If someone saw someone murdered in front of them or was violently raped or something why is it so unaccaptable to give them a warning? Should these people have to disconnect from society? Some people just put bad things out there for fun. I don't think its unreasonable to have these things in a public shared space like Facebook.

MsAl Level 8 Feb 11, 2018

Sometimes it's almost like a click bait just to get people to look at whatever it is they post. Just to get attention. Like what has been said here what haven't we seen.

Is a "spoiler alert" a CW?

Content Warnings are the new Spoiler Alerts.
Haha

Didn't we all see President Kennedy's head get blown off? In slow motion? Many times?

Didn't we all see the underaged naked little girl in vietnam running down the street covered in napalm burns?

Haven't we all seen movies of people making love to each other?

Have we all seen close ups of a woman giving birth?

Haven't we all seen penises?

I think everybody has. So what is left to CW?

Omg! Does no one watch Saturday Night Live anymore? Can no one enjoy an old Ralph Bakshi movie like Fritz the Cat or Coonskin? We used to be a beautifully irreverent society before everyone got so offended by everything. I recently had to CW the blinding of Gloucester from Shakespeare's King Lear when I posted a scene from a local production and I thought to myself, Shakespeare didn't have to CW it in the original production. Yet. Here we are, 600 years later and more prudish than the Elizabethians.

@Vic47 if you cut me do I not bleed?

I should probably get a "Content Warning" label tattooed on my neck...

I have no idea of what you are talking about.

I'm totally for it when it comes to things like rape: someone who has survived a trauma like that may have PTS that can be "triggered" by unprepared exposure to something that reminds them of what they went through--they can involuntarily relive the experience, have a panic attack, etc. Content or trigger warning gives a person like that a heads up so they can brace themself to cope with the material, or excuse themself from it. Appropriate for rape, domestic violence, military violence, I dunno what else. You have to draw the line somewhere. Let the experts--psychologists, statistitions, etc.--tell us what kinds of things we really need to worry about, based on the potential for seriously aggravating trauma and how many people are likely to be affected.

For cursing and boobs? GTFO.

What the fuck?

@EricTrommater Care to be a little more specific about what's hanging you up here? I thought I was pretty clear.

@stinkeye_a I can't even remember now. I must have misread something in your comment last night because reading it now I can't see anything I disagree with.

@EricTrommater Fair enough 🙂

Welcome to the world of having to do what others want you to do in order to not offend. The Religious Freedom Restoration Act in real life.

I'm probably not sensitive enough, but people are too easily triggered. People think that they have a right to go through life without being upset or offended. TFB. The is no right to continual happiness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22983
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.