Agnostic.com

12 2

The Holiday Season

Are there any non-believers who celebrate the holidays just for the fun? Maybe you skip the religious hoopla, and just find fun with your family. How do you celebrate in your way?

Elixastar 3 Nov 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I celebrate the Solstice. That was the original reason for the season, anyway.

I think it is all a travesty. Hate turkey so take my wife for Chinese on the 25th.

Add a movie and you have the Jewish Christmas! I do that almost every year (yes, I'm a cultural Jew).

Of course! I love having time off work to catch up on some rest, cook special dishes, and gather with family. We decorate, exchange gifts... just basically have fun for a week or two. We avoid religious and consumeristic aspects as much as possible.

Zster Level 8 Nov 25, 2018

My grandkids are still young enough to be into Santa...especially the 4 year old. This will be his 1st completely hearing Xmas so I'm pretty excited to see his reactions.

With friends, we do a lot of soltice celebrations, keep it secular & fun.

I make a point of saying, "happy holidays" because, you know, being a front line soldier in the war on Xmas requires me to say that and then make the devil horns sigil.

A neighbor has an annual holiday eve party. They have an interesting house with an unusual heating system. All the neighbors get invited and, of course it is a potluck.

The local joke is how many Lopezians does it take to change a light bulb? The answer is 10, one to do the work and 9 to organize the potluck!

Different about x-mas holiday for me?

Move artificial decorated x-mas tree from basement closet upstairs to elevated hearth of the larger stone fireplace in the formal living room and plug it in. Bring up two ceramic x-mas trees and small lit stained glass x-mas village, tree and four lit buildings on the built in cabinets in the formal dining room beneath the four windows bay. Place the other ceramic tree on the etched glass table supported by a large painted plaster elephant in front of the six window bow of the formal living room: Plug both in. Bring up plastic x-mas wreath and place it over the the outdoor light by the front door, Plug it into the switched outlet. Replace ten LED bulbs with bubble lamps in formal dining room crystal chandelier. Takes less then an hour.

On x-mas-ish nights, Power up everything added and the 24 multi-colored fading LED located in the bottom of the hearth's built in planter with clear water glass above, (creates a nice pattern on the ceiling) Then, usually alone, enjoy the colored light.

Sometimes enjoy silence, other years will power up the hi-fi in the formal dining room.

Enough lights so you can see the house from the ISS. Lots of food, alcohol and fun.. best of all, no religion.

We've always enjoyed the holidays, especially Thanksgiving. Christmas we don't usually pay much attention to, although my wife got a wild hair this year and put up a miniature "Charlie Brown" artificial tree and we'll exchange a few small gifts. Since she did all the relevant shopping and I didn't have to extend myself for it, I'm fine with that 😉

I buy presents, cook, party, and ignore all religious aspects of the holiday season.
I don't decorate my home either.

I can get all that by walking across the yard and going into my nephew's house.
I partake of the best parts that I enjoy, while ignoring all the other bullshit.

I just finished putting up my Christmas lights outside today. Now that I am single again I won't bother with putting up a tree, but we had trees in years past. Never set foot near a church at Christmas since I was a child and my mother made me go. I do like the social side of Christmas, and watching the kids open their presents.

Always a good excuse to make favorite foods for family. That's how I roll.

We go for a good old-fashioned Grisswold Christmas

My nephew loves that movie. As soon as Thanksgiving is over, it's Cousin Eddie, through 'til New Year's.

I love it. That is exactly what we're about. Yesterday we finished our tree and had a whip cream fight.

@KKGator Nice! It's a Tradition, We watch it every Thanksgiving. This time in the backyard with a fire burning. ♥

@CaroleKay Honestly, I detest that movie. I don't like any of the Vacation movies.

@KKGator I find that sooooo sad! Lmao!

@CaroleKay My favorite christmas movie is Die Hard. 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:231273
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.