Agnostic.com

5 4

LINK 3 Tips to Have Better Conversations

1. Know the three tiers of conversations
    Tier one is safe territory: sports, the weather, pop culture, local celebrities and any immediate shared experience.

Tier two is potentially controversial: religion, politics, dating and love lives. “Test the waters, and back away if they’re not interested,” one expert told Jen.

Tier three includes the most intimate topics: family, finance, health and work life. “Some people love to talk about what they do and their kids, but don’t ask a probing question until the door has been opened,” said Daniel Post Senning, an etiquette expert and the great-great-grandson of Emily Post.

Note also that while “So, what do you do?” is a pretty common and acceptable question in America, in Europe it’s as banal as watching paint dry. Instead, ask “What keeps you busy?”

Debra Fine, a speaker and the author of “The Fine Art of Small Talk,” has another basic rule: “Don’t ask a question that could put somebody in a bad spot: ‘Is your boyfriend here?’ ‘Did you get into that M.B.A. program?’” Instead try: “Catch me up on your life” or “What’s going on with work for you?”

1. Be more interested to be more interesting
    Don’t enter a conversation with the intent of leaving everyone in stitches, unless perhaps you’re a professional comedian.

“Channel your inner Oprah,” said Morra Aarons-Mele, author of “Hiding in the Bathroom: An Introvert’s Roadmap to Getting Out There (When You’d Rather Stay Home).”

“If you just talk a lot you might get exhausted, but if you ask questions and listen and draw people out, they’ll think you’re a great conversationalist,” she said.

“For me it comes down to being aware that I should be more interested than I should be interesting,” said Akash Karia, a speaker and performance coach who has written books including “Small Talk Hacks: The People Skills & Communication Skills You Need to Talk to Anyone & Be Instantly Likeable.”

He brought up a study in which two researchers from the psychology department at Harvard found that talking about yourself triggers the same pleasure sensation in the brain as food. “People would forgo money in order to talk about themselves,” he said. You can use this to your advantage simply by listening.

1. Don’t be a conversation hog
    We’ve all been involved in those irritating conversations where we can never get a word in edgewise. Unfortunately, we may have been on the other side, too. Mr. Post Senning said it was crucial to “share the conversation pie. Share half if there are two of you, a quarter if there are four. The share of the pie is never as large as what involves you listening.”

To be a true conversation superstar, try these tips:

Be attentive and give eye contact.

Make active and engaged expressions.

Repeat back what you’ve heard, and follow up with questions.

If you notice something you want to say, don’t say it. Challenge it and go back to listening.

For bonus points, wait an hour to bring up that thing you didn’t say earlier.

And keep in mind that when you say something declarative, seek out the other person’s opinion as well.

“If I say, ‘The Jets don’t stand a chance,’ I’m entitled to my opinion, but I have to say, ‘What do you think?’ afterward,” Ms. Fine said. “You don’t want to be a conversational bully.”

AtheistReader 7 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"What do you do?" is banal in the US, too. My response varies, depending upon how contrary I'm feeling that day.

Thanks for posting this, though. I am one of those dreadful people who often "overshare", and without even meaning to.

I think sports can also be in all three tiers of conversation lol

Good stuff, Ken!

Very good pointers...thanks for sharing...

I am guilty of declarative conversation...but only if it applies to facts, not opinion.

I would also like to suggest that people not over share...it is a bit embarrassing to hear or read about intimate stuff in such graphic detail when you don't know the person ...I don't want to know the size of anyone's...you get the idea... 😉.

hands? Lol!

@KenChang I don't know how to respond when that happens to me...do you laugh? Change the subject? Walk away? I almost feel like retaliating by saying "WTF", using the words, not the initials! lol

@thinktwice I'd go with WTF. Definitely WTF.

@KenChang oh my...your answer took me by surprise! ha ha ha

Size 15, wide.?

@JeremyTaylor I am afraid I would just stop talking if someone said that to me...🙂

@thinktwice well, if you're going to stop talking, that's certainly not how I'd prefer to make it happen. ?

@JeremyTaylor gag... 😉

@thinktwice that's up to you. ?

Bank account? Diversified stock portfolio? Tracts of land?

@ailurophile ha ha now those I would gladly discuss...ha ha ha

Also how to make people fall in love with you, I've learned the hard way...

Yeah, I think this is a good refresher for all of us, especially if we are trying to date. It is good, of course, as long as the consequences are intended and desired. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:232525
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.