Agnostic.com

10 4

Is this a common occurance?

So, I'm starting week 2 here and am loving all of the interesting people that I have met. A few days ago I responded to a post asking about, "how can you love someone else when you don't love yoursef". I wrote something that I hoped would inspire thought. She claimed to be a woman that lived in San Diego. Blonde, cute and nice bio. Below my comment was a man warning that this was a fake profile. I evidently don't know what to look for to determine this. She privately messaged me and we had a short conversation. She then asked if we could text on another format. I have no cell service in my home, so I gave her my real name so that she could contact me on Facebook. An hour later when I did not hear from her, I came back to this sight, her profile was gone. The next day and for the first time ever, my Facebook a count got hacked and new friend requests were being sent to my friends list. So 1) I have absolutely no idea what would motivate someone to try to fuck with somebody like that. And 2) I don't know how to clean up my account. Any thoughts?

Mindfulness 5 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

SMH - so very sorry about that. I hope you can resolve any issues this created.

Giving out Any personal info on short acquaintance is a Huge mistake! I would close my FB account and get a new one, at a minimum! And keep a sharp eye on credit cards & bank accounts! In fact, mmi would cancel all & request new!

Welcome to the Interwebs.... And so starts your education!

Hi, so sorry this happened but recently we have been infiltrated by scammers..here is the usual M.O
Young very pretty woman or extremely handsome accomplished man
Start up in conversation
Overly complimentary/early declaration of love
Not really interested in you, give very few personal details
Ask for easier to hack forms of contact Facebook/mobile numbers/'hangout'. These are especially good because they often have credit card details attached.
The lazy ones will hack your account and steal your money
The crueler ones lead people into believing there is a real affection there, then manufacture and emergency and get you to send money. We have a group with lots of details. Look after yourself.

Welcome to the internet where a lot of things are not as they appear to be and why I treat my Facebook account like a front door. If I didn’t invite you then you’re not coming in.

But hopefully you can get this resolved and there won’t be anymore incidents like that from here.

Oh how awful! Why would someone be so malicious? What can they gain? You must feel very hurt. So sorry.

Carin Level 8 Nov 29, 2018

Sorry that has happened to you. The others have some great suggestions. I never take conversations with new people off site...there’s no reason to, this is a free site. Once I’ve become comfortable with someone I have a specific email for that purpose alone that is not tied to the rest of my personal or professional life in any way. I never give my real name until I meet someone in person.

First of all, NEVER give your real info to someone you have just met, especially if you met them online (remember, you were warned before you decided to give it to "her" ).

Second; change your password on both your Agnostic account and your facebook account.

Third, repost the fake account to facebook, and if you can remember the account that contacted you on Agnostic to admin. They (Agnostic) may be able to do something eventhough the account has been deleted.

you can probably find the person if you browse by member using the member name, if you have the exact spelling. it will say not available but i think you may still be able to report her. if not, then post the name here for admin to go after.

g

your facebook account was not hacked. someone made a facebook account and used your picture and everything to make it look like you; they're not IN your account. report them. ask your friends for the url of the fb page from which the invitation came. you'll see it's different from your page's url. report that page.

meanwhile, it is standard scam practice to ask you to communicate on a different format. there is no reason for it; this is a perfectly nice format. you got scammed. i am sorry i can't answer the why question. people do weird things, usually for money but not always.

by the way, for some reason one cannot right-mouse-click on people's pictures here and search google for the same image, which is one way to check for scammers, but you CAN copy up a sentence or two of that nice profile and search for it and see it 10 other people are using it on various dating sites.

g

Are you sure your friends really got friend requests? There was a hoax chain email that got sent around recently. It might have been coincidence that you got it at the same time. It tells you to hold your finger down and cut and paste and send it to your whole friends list or something.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:233341
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.