Agnostic.com

16 12

What would you do? Christmas Day and a family in distress.

Last week, the family of four who lived below me quickly moved out without even packing boxes. Angel, 33, is an illegal immigrant. His wife, Juana, 45, and their two children are American citizens.

They rapidly carried out items and loaded them into their pickup pulling a square, U-haul trailer. They left without leaving a forwarding address. Left behind a badly damaged apartment and junk to haul away.

Why did they leave so quickly? Running from the police? Running from ICE?

Angel has a violent temper, and nearly strangled his 9-year-old son last Christmas. On Christmas Day, I gave Juana and the boy, Angel, Jr., shelter from 9 p.m. to midnight. Police came and went. In freezing cold without coats, Angel evaded the police, dragging their 14-year-old daughter around neighborhoods in the dark for hours.

"Muy frio!" the girl pleaded on the phone with her mother. Meanwhile, I tucked the tired boy into bed in my guest room.

The police convinced Juana to give them the apartment key. They hid the police cars and waited in the dark apartment. When the police were ready, Juana called her husband, saying the police were gone and to come home.

Angel was arrested as he walked toward the door. Two days later, Juana dropped the charges because "he is the father of my children," she told me.

"You are a role model for your children," I told Juana. After that, Angel ordered his wife and kids to never speak to me again. Typical of an abuser.

During the Fall, I had given Juana free English lessons. She works three jobs- day and night- to support Angel and their children. "My husband complains that I'm always tired," Juana said. I could hear him yelling at her and the kids.

"Angel refuses to work because he has diabetes," Juana said. "He refuses to take his medicine. When he misses Tijuana, he drinks and plays his music."

Angel often disturbed me by blasting loud Mexican ranch music until 2 a.m. Mexican ranch music is extremely repetitive and annoying. I couldn't sleep. When I called the police, Angel temporarily turned it down.

"I don't give a f-ck!" Angel screamed and turned the music up louder. It was intolerable. Earplugs barely helped.

I feel relieved to have them gone.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmm...
I think I'd move.
Way too much drama there.

@bigpawbullet

Now that they are gone, it's peaceful. I feel relieved.

I can see foothills of the Cascade Mountains from every window. Love the views, especially in the Spring and Winter.

"You are a role model for your children," I told Juana.

I feel sad. She is teaching her children to ignore their own feelings, and stay with an abusive person.

You did what you could for them. I hope those kids will be safe. My sister works at a shelter for battered women. They help them as best as they can, but she says 9 out of 10 go back to their abusers. It's a vicious cycle and hard to break out of.

Angel has caused his own problems and those of his family. There appears to be little one can do for him, given his current attitudes.

You helped out where you could.
While completely unfortunate, she's a grown woman and free to make her own decisions. Hopefully, she escapes him before the damage becomes too great, or permanent.
Angel's a dick.

So sad in so many ways.

I’m glad for you and that you are rid of annoying neighbors. However I’m sad that there’s still so many women trapped in the merry go round of violent relationships. My heart breaks for the children brought up in these situations as they just continue the cycle. You showed great courage in helping when you did. It could have been a dangerous situation.

Totally feel bad for the kids

Some people you just can’t do anything with. My heart goes out to the kids. I hope they have the courage to overcome and succeed.

I have many Hispanic neighbors, on all sides of my apartment. I haven't heard or heard of any of the knd of behavior you describe except for the music, which can be annoying, but here is not generally played too loudly. I just love the little kids who play in the courtyard outside my door, laughing, chasing each other, etc., but I wonder how do so many of them fit into one and two bedroom units, which is all we have here? I consider my 1 bdrm just about the right size for 1 person; maybe 2 temporarily. Different mindset, I guess.

@Condor5

My daughter is half-Spanish.

I have many Latino neighbors. Wenatchee is 25% Latino.

Like you, I love the sound of kids laughing and playing. Other Latino neighbors are kind and respectful.

The jackass below me was the only loud, antisocial, mean neighbor.

Sounds like this guy was just an asshole and dangerous as well. There are asshole in all cultures .

@LiterateHiker actually, the loudest people around are the Caucasian couple directly upstairs from me, mostly the young husband; but, they're kids still, and nice enough, so I try to give them a pass, though vacuuming at midnight on a floor (my ceiling) that is maybe 3" thick can be very annoying when I'm trying to get to sleep.?

That’s a horrible situation to be in and am glad at least you’re free of it now. I know the feeling of having insufferable neighbours.

The trouble is there isn’t much that can be done. With most domestic violence and co-dependency issues there needs to be a willingness within the relationship for change. That situation sounds typical of so many where someone is attached, living in fear and can’t acknowledge that there is a different way to live. Children complicate it tenfold. But you did the right thing in trying to find a means of intervening.

As far as other tactics? If you could give him perspective of how he’s treating his family it might snap him out of his cycle. Managing to break through to an angry narcissist is no small task though. Last thing you want is him being arrested and becoming a martyr to a family who feared his temper more than for their own safety.

@EdmundCinister

Thank you.

At least angelo did not crash his vehicle into yours(mine was) drunken and careless....I am the one who moved away from the illegals and their smelly Modelo drunken mariachi music you're safe now

I would as well, though more specifically him and not them. He sounds dangerous. I hope he doesn't hurt his wife or the children.

@Mitch07102

Agreed. In jail, Angel cried and begged, promising never to do it again, Juana said.

That's what abusers do. It's sad that women fall for it. Someone eventually gets badly hurt or killed by the man.

@LiterateHiker it is a totally predictable pattern.

Whew... I feel your pain.. Relief!

@Cutiebeauty

Thank you, dear. I feel much more relaxed. It's peaceful now.

@LiterateHiker glad to hear it ! A peaceful home is very important ?

That ass should be removed from the family,and deported after he serves time for what he has done to that family?

@WayneDalton

Agreed.

hello

Very sad,if you offered help or money,they'd take advantage of you,a "Lifeboat" of sorts,perhaps.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:233363
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.