Agnostic.com

10 2

Do you think people care about Truth, as it comports to reality?

On Facebook I'm the guy who will comment a link to Snopes when one of my friends posts something that is untrue. Usually it's one of my conservative friends posting a meme that seems far fetched, and a simple google search shows that their claim didn't happen. I then catch a lot of crap from the OP and their friends. Would people rather believe a lie that they wish was true, rather than the actual, demonstrable truth?

It seems that is this post truth - alternative facts world, people want to reverse the law of causality. They say "I want it, therefore it is" rather than "It is, therefore I want it". What are your thoughts?

ScubaWags 7 Feb 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

this really is the bee in my bonnet getting to the point where I can't believe anything - I have accepted post-truth is upon us and i wish I could turn some clocks back

Exactly. Every mundane detail of any story is spun this way or that. Pretty soon the story has been completely re-written from what actually happened.

To a point, but part of truth is through perception and experience.

Now if you mean fact... different critter. Those are cold and hard and often uncomfortable. I think most people far more often prefer experience and perception over cold, hard uncomfortable facts.

People are complicated. Most want to believe that people over all are not that bad and in order to dislike someone they have to pin some reason to that dislike. Believing a lie or twisting facts to fit their view so they don't feel guilty for hating someone seems to be very commonplace, likely because it's easy.

I can't say it's new. Countries crank up the propaganda mill when building up opposition to whoever they are at war with. The rumors start flying and pretty soon they have demonized average, fairly normal people who simply have only a slightly different opinion or lifestyle... harmless, just different.

AmyLF Level 7 Feb 14, 2018

It definitely feels like everyone is setting up an Us vs Them situation. and since the Us group is obviously correct, that must make the Them wrong, evil, baby killers.

Most people prefer to be comfortable rather than correct.

Only the most intelligent and caring of the future. A big percent of the population is nuts and loves its nut leaders.

It's funny, the latest Thinking Atheist podcast dealt with this basic premise.

I love that podcast! Sam Harris, too.

You should research on confirmation bias which is this exact issue; This report supports my beliefs, therefore it must be credible and true.

Comforting lies are always preferred over the inconvenient truth.

Isn't that basic human nature?
It's the same in science..Big Pharm creates a dangerous synthetic drug, then pays researchers to test it.
The researchers know who's paying the bills, so if their sponsor sells hammers, they will find nails.

Medical studies are almost always bogus [nyp.st] via @nypost

Most people can't handle the truth

People are WAY more rigid in their beliefs than we thought. Self righteousness trumps honesty.

I’ve had that with the fb posts. Opening your mouth is a great way to clear out your friend list.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23396
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.