Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK Is the Universe Anthropic?

Interesting series in Psychology Today. It seems more likely to me that we were made for the universe we happen to inhabit.

jerry99 8 Nov 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The puddle in the hole is a good demonstration of the idea. That conditions at one time existed permitting or promoting certain chemical assemblages to occur, those same conditions would kill us today. We have evolved over deep time to adapt to the changing conditions here on this planet. The driver of all things, the sun, has also changed in the time between first life and today. If it had not, we would not be.

“For one, if such tuning has happened, what’s the basis for assuming that it happened with us “in mind”?

Before delving into such a question I think we should try to find out what or who we ourselves are, and the nature of conscious awareness which frames our every experience.

Please note that practically every article in the media reflects an implicit belief in a materialistic world view, and we are not expected to question that world view. IMO, the most destructive, insidious faith ever concocted by man is the philosophy of scientism.

Yeah, we're not even close to scientism. What we have is a large number of people with no understanding of science principles -- people who think that the Theory of Evolution is just a theory or that astrology is another valid science. There are far more people who are too lazy to do the work to understand math or science then the ones who actually get things done. These are the dummies who accept vague promises and wishful thinking from our politicians without question.

The most recent PISA (Program for International Student Assessment ) results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science.

@jerry99 I’m all for science. But the philosophy of materialism is not science. It is, in fact, just as unscientific as creationism or astrology. Materialism is so prevalent in society that we take it for granted as being the only correct perspective. Anyone who even questions the orthodox dogma is immediately attacked.

We just happened like everything else that evolved

Interesting post. The problem I see is, as the article starts: "There is debate whether the “anthropic principle” is a scientific or a philosophical concept – or primarily a religious one." The religions have taken this idea to create gods who, in turn, have created us. Even many of the non-religious see us at the center. Additional studies have shown that factors here on Earth have also fostered our presence (dinosaur extinction, climate and on and on) so much to the point we almost didn't come into being. However, the universe is vast and there could also be other intelligent life. Some scientists have suggested that our body form has been adapted to conditions here on Earth and that, more than likely, other intelligent life forms would be unrecognizable to us. I like to believe that the big bang (as has been suggested by some scientists) was not a one time event and that it happens often and that there are numerous universes (multi-verse). Who knows what kind of life form exists on alternate universes.

One idea I came up with was a question of how many personalities, consciousnesses could exist on our planet alone. The only number I can surmise is infinite.

If you accept that there must be some material substance for a consciousness to inhabit, then the number of consciousnesses can never be infinite. Even if you allow one atom's worth of space per consciousness throughout the entire universe, then the number is still finite - very large but finite. Otherwise, you're in the land of wild speculation.

I agree in muti universes and the big bank could have been a hole in one of them.I also think in this
vast universe that there must be other forms of life and intelligence ,for that fact in every universe there is some type of life.

@jerry99 To me personality or consciousness is immaterial and, yes, the number of material objects has limits and even in a multi-verse this is true but, to me those numbers can be so vast as to approach infinity. It is a theory not a reality.

@JackPedigo "those numbers can be so vast as to approach infinity" Uh, no. They're no closer to infinity than is the number 1.
Also, since there is still no real explanation of consciousness then your statement is, as I said above, wild speculation. My best guess is that consciousness is a wave of electrical impulses, i.e. neuron firings, and as such, requires a whole bunch of neurons which does take up space.

@jerry99 Relatively speaking, yes, they are no closer than one but realistically there is a great distance.I disagree with the definition of consciousness. To me consciousness also includes experiences and situations as well as physicality and other variables. I think it impossible for two people to share the same consciousness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:234316
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.