Agnostic.com

6 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The bigger problem is that about a third of our population is this way. ☹️

a kind estimate. i'd have said more!

g

Maybe a random geography test as part of the clerk's and supervisor's annual performance review?

maybe basic reading and writing too, huh? it's sad but alas not surprising.

g

I really was hoping this was a satirical article from HardTime or the Onion when I first saw it, but wow! Evidently the schools in the District of Columbia need to rehaul their basic education requirements if two people didn't know New Mexico was a state.

I live and teach in DC. And sadly, this does not surprise me. At all 😟

the schools of d.c. have always been bad, and nani, i am glad you're there because they NEED you. my mom worked for the wtc for a very long time. the level of education of most d.c. teachers was shockingly low, at least in the '60s, '70s and '80s. how can the ignorant teach the ignorant?

g

@genessa teacher education all around in the US is very low. And all the newest research in best practice with evidenced based programs and teachers are not given this info. Teaching colleges are years behind. So sad. Thank you for the kind words.

Wow! Seems that basic education is not a job requirement for the position

I saw this on various Internet posts. It is more than ridiculous that the DC clerk and her supervisor had to look up New Mexico on Google to prove that it was a state. One account I read claimed the clerk had rejected the man's "foreign driver's license" as ID and wanted to see his "New Mexico passport." Since this appears to be a true story my question is why do we allow someone this dumb to be employed as clerks?

This is yet another variation of Trump, his nonsense, and his support base. It's just more of the bullshit that happens in Trumpworld. People dumb as a rock.

when i first worked as a government clerk, not only was i not an idiot (i hope) and not only was i not ignorant (i hope) but the people with whom i worked, while not geniuses, seemed to be of normal intelligence and education. some were even smarter and better educated than average. they were open to learning, too, though at first they did not appear so. this was in 1976-7 in the department of justice in d.c.. by the time i got to my clerkship at the social security administration, l.a. office, things had changed, or perhaps they hadn't quite caught up on that coast, or (most likely) the agency itself was worse.

while i was a clerk at doj, roots was shown for the first time on tv. our office was multicultural and multiracial but most folks didn't mention our differences. (i shocked a friend early on, before we were even friends, by referring to her being black -- i wanted her opinion of something AS a black woman so it would have been silly to go through contortions not to mention it!) the day after the first episode of roots aired, we were ALL talking about race, and it was wonderful. no one was mad, no one was hostile, everyone was alert, awake, interested!

while i was at ssa, holocaust aired for the first time, also on tv. being jewish i was especially revved and the next day i asked everyone in my office if they'd seen it. no one had. furthermore, one coworker, a middle-aged black woman (i was in my 20s and she seemed old to me but now she would seem young lol) declared that she hadn't watched roots and wouldn't watch holocaust because such things caused tension and bad feelings among people. since was the opposite of my experience of roots i asked her what she meant. she said "well, what if, the morning after seeing holocaust, a little jewish child picked on a little nazi child because of it?"

our national ignorance has been augmented and legitimized but make no mistake: it's always been there.

g

now msn has picked it up. [a.msn.com]

g

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:234697
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.