Agnostic.com

12 1

LINK Let's talk a bit about Rumspringa

So about a year ago I took Philosophy and we talked about what might be considered the "rights and wrongs" of their beliefs (or better what crosses the line). We watched a documentary about kids who were in Rumpsringa, which in short is when they are given freedom for a certain amount of time (it differs from community to community) where they can live like non-amish folks. But, what we ended up learning is that since they don't have the skills and knowledge about modern life they end up getting into huge problems with drugs, drinking, etc.

We had a good discussion about why they do that and it's almost like, its a way to trick them that modern life is evil and bad because they don't have those things in the Amish communities so the teenagers/young adults after their Rumspringa decide to stay Amish. But in reality, it seems like they were purposefully not taught that so they would "fail" out in the real world and be too scared to stay (not that I blame them). Some of the elders also say it's a way to "get it out of their system" too so when they're done they're ready to get married. They also don't get a proper education so that's another reason why they fail in the real world which is awful.

It's pretty late so my thoughts on this might be a bit jumbled and I apologize. I was wondering about your opinions on it. Is it bad, good, in the middle? What about the Amish beliefs as a whole?

LadyStardust96 5 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think all religions are stupid and hypocritical but the Amish seem to take the prize. They shun modern technology but ride to Aldi in someone else’s car, pick groceries that were produced with technology, put them in carts, and on conveyor belts, pack them up in corrugated boxes, etc (all technology) but wander through the store in the weird “hey! Look at me!” Outfits. They don’t pay full taxes, don’t serve in the military and are able to get away with it because of their religion which they find all sorts of ways of circumventing. If their kids can run amok for a few years, they should have to do volunteer service or something to make up for not having to register for the draft.

Yes I think it is setting them up to fail (that's the typical self-ratifying nonsense you always get from religion), although I'm fairly sure the vast majority of Amish elders aren't self-aware enough to see it for what it is. They are just following a formulaic tradition that has been in place for many generations.

As with all confirmation bias, it's not like there isn't some truth to the notion that unfettered freedom to carouse is highly overrated and has downsides that aren't generally present in one's imagination before the actual experience. But by insuring that they will hit it like a brick wall with no idea how to respond, insures that it will reinforce the whole raison d'etre of the Amish community -- to protect itself and its members from an inherently wicked and harmful greater world, preserving an allegedly far better way of life.

I do not see anything in Rumpspringa that encourages youth to look at the outside world objectively, and especially not to examine the good in it ... only the caricatured and magnified evils. It's not like 100% or 51% or even 10% of non-Amish live lives of constant dissipation and hedonistic excess, lack any moral compass, and are continually either drunk or hung-over, after all. One can find satisfying meaning and purpose outside the Amish community, and can find despair within it.

In the UK and other parts of EU there travellers from basically two traveller traditions (There are more but it gets complicated) There are gypsies of Irish decent and Romany Gypsies. They do virtually the same thing. Kids are educated to 12 years, girls are bethroyed at 14 and marry as soon as they are legally permitted at 16. 5 or 6 babies by the time they are 20. Boys are allowed some 'wild oats' time but all must be virgins when they marry. The communities do not engage, are the focus of a lot of racism, because they are virtually all illiterate they do not contribute to society. Their mortality rate is much lower than the general population, they rarely attend doctors etc.They are virtually all EXTREMELY religious (RC) but follow a strange version of their faith that discourages education. There are other closed communities and in some ways they are interesting from anthropological point of view but they damaging to the members and the rest of society.

Just another stupid fucking religion and religious culture.
They set their children up to fail, just to keep them enslaved.

Exactly .

I've witnessed rumspringa up close. The comments are pretty close to true as the Amish are only required in PA to get an eighth grade education. The worst part is rhe family pressure to return to the fold when the time is up. Many families threaten and even do ostracize any one that does not return. I came across a 22 year old Amish man who was in the mental hospital trying to deal with family pressures and the excessive use of alcohol (and, no, alcohol is not against church rules, where I lived it was well known: see a buggy coming to a stop sign after 2am, don't expect it to always stop because the driver may be asleep drunk and the horse is headed home). Anyway, the young man told me that he was expected to come home, go to work with an Amish business, and get married. He also said, "It will take a hell of a women for me to want to give up my Kawasaki."

First, I'd like to thank you for your well thought
out and intelligent observations. Secondly, thank you for your care in using proper spelling and grammar.

I agree with your remarks concerning Rumspringa wholeheartedly. Furthermore, like the Hassidic Jews, the Mormons and many other isolated communities, the children in the Amish community are brain-washed for nearly two decades and are never taught to reason and think critically. As a result, these communities breed ignorance as quickly as they can breed children.

Some religions are worse than others. I saw a documentary about Rumspringa which was interesting, but I don't think that I can enough about religions to get informed enough to do an in depth comparison. None of them seem good to me.

We have amish around here, and I always thought the same thing. How can you shelter a kid for (15-16 years I believe?), push them out into a world they know nothing about, with no emotional, physical, financial support, and believe them running back is any type of honest decision? It would be similar to taking a kid from NYC at age 16, throwing them in the Louisiana bayou, and saying you can have city life with us or country life on your own - you're choice.

Your perception that the Amish know nothing about the outside world is not correct. The Amish lad who deer hunts my land, had me download several game calls to his expensive electronic game caller in his quest to hunt coyotes. Another youth asked me to download the instructions for his sister's Rubic Cube. Also, another Amish teenage neighbor asked me to use my computer to read the pictures from his Simms Card from his Trail Cam...it would not read due to the card's format, so he asked to borrow a computer to attempt to read the pictures he had on other cards from game cams. He also showed me where a photo card plugged into the laptop that I loaned him...I had not known that my old laptop even had a port for a photo card. Across the road from me, my Amish neighbor has a factory in which they make high-end kitchen counters (the expensive ones with polished granite surfaces that a lot of us could not afford), and other household furniture. Another Amish neighbor specializes in installing windows. Several more specialize in house, barn construction. Another specializes in steel buildings and fences. Another Amish neighbor specializes in fixing small engines. The local feed mill has an Amish employee...in all, they seem to know a whole lot more about our modern society that what would be supposed...they also seem not to have a problem with employment relative to their modest education. They seem to get along fine without the education that outsiders deem necessary for them.

@dahermit Your assumption I said or think they know nothing about the outside world is what is not correct. NEVER AT ANY POINT did I say they were ignorant about the world outside their community. What I said was (at least around here), is there is no support or guidance during this time like any young teen on their own would require. It's not like there is a half-way house they can go live in for 3-5 years while they adjust to our society, where they are clothed, fed, sheltered for free until they reach 18 or 21 and can stand on their own as a fully functional adult. It's not impossible, and some do leave, but it's a scary and uncertain process, and the cards are stacked against choosing that route.

@jondspen You do know of course that an Amish teen who wants to the experience of Rumpsringa is relatively rare. Most in my area grow-up and marry as is expected in the Amish community without the dissatisfaction that would be in impetus for such. Living amongst them, I get the impression that the family and social ties are strong enough to nullify the perceived siren call of the outside world.

@dahermit Sure...and again, makes sense. People in general are creatures of habit. A lot of people here in the south near me are no more than 100 miles from where they were born or grew up. I would also bet nationwide, a large percent of married couples are located near one or both of the spouse's family. I think the Amish lifestyle makes it a bit more daunting to leave due to the cultural difference, but I wouldn't say it's a characteristic specific to them due to their lifestyle - just human nature mostly (giving and receiving support from one's family).

I am a retired public school teacher who lives in the country surrounded by Amish. I remember one of the arguments against the Amish tradition of only educating through the eighth grade. The argument (from the "English" ) is that they would then be unprepared for employment if they ever left the Amish community. I have never met an Amish person who does not know how to read, whereas I saw several students who "graduated" from the public high school in which I taught who could not read. In sum, "our" system is not ideal either so we should perhaps keep our mouths shut about the perceived failures of the Amish system.

There is more to a proper education than the ability to read English. Are the children of the Amish raised to think critically? Are they taught the scientific method? Are they prepared to make scientific and technological advancements to improve the lives of their community and the world?

Secondly, there is a common red herring fallacy in your argument. Just because contemporary public school education may be poor or worse than Amish education, it does not follow logically that Amish education is good.

Finally, nobody should "shut" his/her "mouth". Information is learned and opinions are changed by honest communication and debate. The world needs more open-minded people speaking their opinions, not fewer.

@Diogenes1972
"There is more to a proper education than the ability to read English."...an assumption that is all the Amish education system is comprised of? Your posting seems to be of similar content to what was imposed upon the Native Americans. Lastly, inasmuch as the Amish have not asked you for your opinions and have not shown any interest in your "...honest communication and debate...", how do you propose you force it upon them?

@maturin1919 Having lived, literally next door to them for twenty or so years, I agree.

@dahermit Your engaging in the"strawman" fallacy. Nowhere did I claim that English is the only thing children learn in Amish schools. Secondly, I'm not offering to debate the Amish, I debating you who offered your opinion on a public forum. Thirdly, you didn't address your original red-herring. fallacy. Fourthly, I have no intention of forcing anyone to do anything, this is a platform for the debate of sociopolitical arguments. I stated my opinions and arguments in accordance with my first amendment right to free speech and I intend to continue to do so.

@Diogenes1972 You claimed it here: "There is more to a proper education than the ability to read English. "

@dahermit I was address the point in the previous argument that Amish children are able to read. You wrote, "I have never met an Amish person who does not know how to read" to which I replied, "There is more to a proper education than the ability to read English. " Nowhere did I claim that English is the only thing children learn in Amish schools.
If there is still any ambiguity, I openly state that Amish children learn more in school than how to speak English.

Setting up people to fail is cruel.

Take a repressed person and tell them the world is your oyster of course they're gonna fuck up and over-indulge, because both are extremes. It is parental neglect not to teach children what to expect from the world and to teach them coping skills ?

PBS had something on "Dateline". Really good. And of course. Then there is the Hollywood comedy aspect of the going buts when you vet free from parental control. What surprised me is how many went back as well as how many turn the drugs and prostitution.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:234801
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.