26 7

How can modern man believe in a God?

When studying past civilizations it had been discovered that some ancient societies worshipped many gods. After digging deeper into some of these religions it was found that they had believed that these gods had great powers and that they used those powers to control all natural functions. They did not understand how the natural world worked so they figured that it must be gods that were controlling it. So my question is this: if modern people know that the reason ancient people believed in gods was only to help them understand their world, how does modern man justify believing in a God when science has given us most of the answers on how our world works and does not seem to support the idea of a God?

By CaseyBurch
Options Favorite Like

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence, and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy

Create your free account

26 comments

My answer is that you can not disprove god. You can't disprove a negative. When it comes to default positions there are 3.
Something is true until proven false
Something is possible until proven true/false
Something is untrue unless proven true.
It's the same thing with big foot, people still believe in it.

KenWG Level 3 Dec 10, 2018

I still remember, as a child, being taught the song "Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so". The next verse talked about how children especially are under his protection because "they are weak but he is strong". It would be very comforting to accept the message that there's a supernatural, omnipotent protector right now looking out for me. I think that's part of the answer; as Wilhelm Reich postulated, people often seem to desire a dictatorial protector to run their lives, and a God person would fulfill that role. However, I accept personal responsibility for my life, and I know that scientifically there is almost certainly no God. (I wouldn't mind a Goddess, though...)

Paul4747 Level 7 Dec 10, 2018

Because they feel small and want to think they are not ultimately in control of their life. Organized religion remains to try to control the crowd and to extort money from them.

Trump's 35%-40% approval rate shows you that some people will believe anything even though they know they are being lied to! I view that as more of a mental deficiency than an actual chosen belief!

RiverRick Level 6 Dec 10, 2018

Familial and social scripting combined with the need to fit in. People want to be accepted. In the majority of society, it is generally necessary to be a believer. Pack mentality.

MissKathleen Level 8 Dec 10, 2018

If you can move away from the idea of the judgemental asshole in the sky...it's completely plausable. What if we are living inside another sentient organism, the universe.

LuckyDevil Level 1 Dec 10, 2018

You got me!

Sticks48 Level 8 Dec 10, 2018

I think the desire for many to have a better life doesn't meet expectations so they hang on to these fairytales to drag them through day to day. Willful ignorance I think also plays into it as well.

Gravehill Level 4 Dec 10, 2018

I don't know. I am thinking of writing a 3rd book called Why Do People Believe This Shit

MojoJojo Level 4 Dec 9, 2018

Take a child and the time it is able to start putting words together, tell them myths that religion spouts....it's called brain washing. ..and when its done constantly, it takes alot to overcome. Many don't, and go on to perpetuate the evil

HankSherman Level 7 Dec 9, 2018

Many people are innately gullible. That seems like something that evolved to help us to stay in groups. But by not being constrained to facts or truth testing, religions can make up whatever kinds of stories that sound good to people. Religion will always have that advantage over truth.

SeekersNeverFind Level 3 Dec 9, 2018

Fear of the unknown and death.

Jimba Level 1 Dec 9, 2018

One has to be careful of scientism and the dogma that "science has answered most of our questions" because as a scientist myself, I can tell you that the number of unresolved questions in the world outnumber the number of answers.

It is because of this understanding that most people (68%) see no conflict between their religious beliefs and their scientific knowledge [1] and why a small majority (51%) of scientists hold onto religious beliefs in the USA [2] and across the world [3].

The idea that there is conflict is mostly perpetuated by non-scientists, atheists and theist alike, in an attempt to "bandwagon" people into thinking that they have science on their side when in fact they don't.

[1] [pewinternet.org]
[2] [pewforum.org]
[3] [journals.sagepub.com]

TheMiddleWay Level 8 Dec 8, 2018

The God Mob is big business. Simply follow the money trail.

irascible Level 8 Dec 8, 2018

Hey check out this podcast if you want. [stitcher.com]

Jbwxz Level 3 Dec 8, 2018

I believe it works the same way we fall in love with the wrong people initially believing them be the one ! Only difference here is it's possible break-up and move on, but with God it's a million times tougher.

JosephVarghese Level 1 Dec 8, 2018

Because most people are brainwashed practically from birth about God and Jesus.

RobertMartin Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

I definitely think that brainwashing has something to do with it.

They find comfort in messages of hope to assuage their fear of the unknown.

uuberdude Level 6 Dec 7, 2018

I see do see the upsides of having a belief that is shared by millions and being able to havie the benefit of knowing you have an all powerful god that is unquestionably real and that it is mandatory for that god to love you forever. Just as long as you stay faithful to the belief of him and the belief of the religion you can be certain that any problem you face there is a being that cares greatly about it and is going to help you but ithe help that is given is not always what you feel is needed or not not accredited to him. I have sometimes felt envy of the people’s unquestioned certainity of their self worth it , I fell is the result of knowing that someone more important than yourself is not only aware of your existence and is in your corner very happy to fight for your cause. It would be so awesome if I felt that without any doubt I am going somewhere better after this life. Instead of that I am confident I that after serious reading and research I know that when a living creature dies that is the very end of its consciousness. I have no doubts that what I have concluded from my search to get answers to the the age old question of what stage of a persons life time death is a part of. It is the very last.

Edited

Repetitive messaging targeting children is extremely effective.

powder Level 7 Dec 7, 2018

Modern man? What outdated terminology!

PaulHughes Level 3 Dec 7, 2018

Yea what’s your better term?

@CaseyBurch Why not instead of 'modern man' put 'a modern human being'!

Oh for goodness sake 😂

@MattCooper You prefer 'modern goodness sake' then!

I think religion survives today because of the deeply ingrained belief that ethics and morality only come from God. And without religion, society would collapse.

Hastur Level 7 Dec 6, 2018

Certainly a part of the evil myth

If not out of dogma, I think people simply commit to faith out of tradition and/or a very natural desire for an answer to existentil horror.

Morty_Frey Level 3 Dec 6, 2018

How? The same way modern people believe in political parties. Religion and politics are different aces from the same deck of cards. One has a dogma, the other has a party platform. Both subsist on selling fear, hope, and empty promises of a better life. Both demand unquestioned loyalty, etc.

skepticguy Level 3 Dec 6, 2018

O so true

Wow I now have something new ponder. I joined this site just for that reason: find people who in discussion will bring a new idea or way of thinking my attention I am most happy when in pursuit of answers the big questions that are important me.

Edited

I do not know. Do you have any inking as to why?

creative51 Level 7 Dec 6, 2018

Different reasons. It is hard to get away from what you have been indoctrinated to believe in and some people need hope.

Jolanta Level 7 Dec 6, 2018

I really don't know the answer to this but I find it puzzling. Belief in gods is so ridiculous that sometimes I'm tempted to think that all believers should be declared "not of sound mind" (or whatever the legal formula is) and locked up for their own good smile001.gif And yet I know that there are plenty of religious people who are intelligent or kind or capable and sometimes even all three smile001.gif I suspect that they don't believe in god in the same way that they believe 2 plus 2 equals 4. "Belief" is used for both things, although they are different. Perhaps we could follow the nomenclature of diabetes? We could talk about "Type 1 belief" or "Type 2 belief". What do you think? Is there a Nobel Prize here? smile001.gif

Redcraze Level 4 Dec 6, 2018
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.comis the largest non-profit community for atheists, agnostics, humanists, freethinkers, skeptics and others happy without religion!